Friday Night Firefight Forums

Surgery

Indemnity

On thursday morning I'll be going under the knife. I'm having my sigmoid colon removed because I have chronic diverticulitis. It basically means that I have pockets in my colon that retain food particles which then become infected. I've had it come back 3 times in the last 8 months and so now we have to just remove that part of my colon. It's about a foot long and it's the very end of the colon so I'll live a normal life and all that but now I won't be getting abdominal pains, temperatures, and blood coming out both ends. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png The surgery will hopefully be done laparoscopically, which means with cameras and robotic arms and all that. It's not like they are swapping my heart out but it's not exactly a walk in the park either. I'll be in the hospital for 4-5 days, possibly up to 7 depending if they need to actually open me up or if they can do it laparoscopically. So, long story short, I'll be afk for at least a week or two. It takes about 6-8 weeks to fully recover. Wish me luck!

Btw, they reattach my colon with titanium staples. Pretty sweet right? Titanium Staples > pins and rods IMO. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

Here is a picture of a laparoscopy machine.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0d/Laproscopic_Surgery_Robot.jpg

Dude, that looks like one heluva sci-fi torture device...

And by that, I mean "Looks like you're in great hands dude, gl with the surgery!"

-Cril

PS- Has anyone ever wondered how those types of things are controlled? Is there a doctor on a PC at the other end, using WASD and a crappy ball mouse? Maybe this is what they do in their free time - Sit down at the home computer, load up 'EXTREME Laparoscopic Surgery 2000', connect with the friends and play together online. A co-op mode, if you will. And then the idiot with the dial-up connection lags out and they accidentally perform a boob-job. Whoops, GAME-OVER!

I'm back home. I'm not doing exceedingly well but I'm alive. About a foot of my colon is gone and I'm in a tremendous amount of pain. My abdomin is really really bruised from the trauma of the surgery and I'm riddled with staples from the 3 incisions. I am pretty much just staying in bed and trying to eat something every couple of hours; I've lost 10 pounds in 5 days. I went into the ER on wednesday night because of complications from the prep treatment for the surgery. I have fucked up nightmares from all of the narcotics that I'm on for the pain. When they sent me home last night I started on withdrawls from the clicker because I was taking so much the first 4 days. Anyway, I'm home. I'll jump back on in a couple days hopefully.