Friday Night Firefight Forums

Xbox hardware failure.

Cody

My Xbox died today after I turned it on for the first time in a month or so. I phoned xbox expecting to deal with a pile of horseshit. I was so certain I was going be getting the 3rd degree from the tech support that I was already in defence/asshole mode. He disarmed me quickly. It was tech support the way it should be, no bullshit just progress. We ran down the short list of common issues causing "teh ring of death" and tried a bit of troubleshooting just to confirm that it was infact hardware failure.

My Xbox is fucked. No worries though, are sending me a empty box to send the unit back in free of charge, shipping and handling included. Oh Canada, because i live in the great white north they're sending me a brand new unit to replace the old one, i guess thats cheaper

Its hard to believe xbox is mircosoft product.

thumbs up Bill

edit..

we'll i guess i do believe its a mircosoft product, first generation vista doesnt work outta the box either.

Mine died last year, same thing, ring of death. I was the same as you, expecting to have to run around the bush with them whilst beating them with a long stick the whole time. Needless to say, once you get that box expect to get your xbox, or a new one back in no time at all, was very quick turn around.

BLue

Guest etruscan

Two weeks is pretty damn fast. You almost cant complain !

So does anyone know if they've actually solved this issue ? Or are they replacing your xboxen w/units that will just rrod again ?

i dont know steve, they are probably just cycling the borked xboxs around untill everyone extended 3 year warranty is over.

4 of us here have 360's and 3 of them have had the RRoD.

hahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahha

Guest etruscan
you all should start writing secret messages inside the cases, and checking when you get your new units. That'd be a wicked scoop that would totally get on the front page of digg or some such i bet http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

• 3 weeks later...

I got it not to long ago.. Mine was like a year old though and I didn't feel like sending it off so I went to Walmart bought a new one and just switched the sticker with the SN# and switched the hard drive.. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png Don't tell http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png.

It was pretty sweet though I didn't know all new ones had HDMI.. Now I have HDMI for my 360 so that made me happy.

yeah, I'm pretty c hoked. Hopefully the turn around on getting it back is pretty short. Its crap like this that makes me hate consoles.

That would be the way to go digits. Probably extends your warranty for another 3 years too.

• 2 weeks later...
So I went into Purolator last night to get the box to send off my 360 for warranty "work", really they are just sending me a new 360, so thats good enough for me. What was funny, is while we were there, there was another guy sending his 360 off as well, and that got me thinking, I wonder how many of these boxes of dead white plastic and silicone get shipped off everyday, and what they do with them. I can't imagine them throwing them all out, they must refurbish them and then send them back out.