Friday Night Firefight Forums

Motorcyclist

Indemnity

I just got my license at the beginning of August and my bike at the end of July so I'm fairly new (only about 1400 miles). Anyone else out ride? I got a 2001 Honda Nighthawk CB750. It's a standard, great starter bike aside from it being a 750, though I had no troubles. I was hoping to get out this next weekend one last time before the weather really turns to shit around here.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6229/moto1jy4.jpg

Well i dont ride, if i wanted to feel in some way associated i could say i am a ride.....for my girl! BOOYA!! haha lol but yea man nice bike, just dont go dying or ill hunt you down and kill you again!

Yeah, it's a blast to ride. I have to say though that motorcycles killing people is a big misconception. Sure, it's not as safe as a car but it's not the people like me who get their permit, take the safety course, and buy a modest bike to learn on who get killed. It's the 20yo kid who goes out and buys a new GSX-R and has never ridden a bike before. Too often people go and get their permit for 3 months and then never worry about getting their license or even taking a safety course. Motorcycling gets a bad rap from those idiots, you can always pick them out on the road because they are wearing shorts and a t-shirt or a mirrored visor on their helmet at night. SCUBA diving is a dangerous sport whether people acknowledge it or not. When I told people that I was thinking of taking some SCUBA diving class I was showered with praise, but as soon as I mentioned "murdercycles" I was marked a fool who would leave a widowed wife and fatherless children in 6 months. My best friend died Sept 8, 2001 because a full-size truck didn't see him and turn across his lane. I'm fully aware that there are risks but if he had died in the same accident in a car I wouldn't stop driving cars would I? Sorry for the rant, its not in anyway directed at you guys. Sometimes I just feel like I need to speak up for the responsible motorcyclist. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

Guest etruscan

Good rant - and every bit true imo. I like to think im one of those responsible motorcyclists ( even though franks goign to say the pedals make it not count ) too, and you're right - motorcycling has a bad reputation.. but for a reason. Theres sooooo many idiots out there with no respect for life or limb, the rest of us get painted like that too.

Of course, for me.. the thought of anythign that goes 100km/hr in first gear is terrifying. I think part of what makes me a responsible rider is not getting my class six and getting on a bike inthis city. it's just bruuuutal out there !

Amen - learning to ride a motorbike is one of those things that's worth doing properly. I had a friend who had informal lessons on how to ride, and within a month of getting her license she wiped out and ended up with a plate and some screws in the nech/shoulder. Nasty stuff.

-Cril