Friday Night Firefight Forums

Scariest Moment of you Life?

Cody

In April. I had a work related injury at work. I fell about 21 feet into a nearly drained horse pool. Now I know your thinking, "horse pool? wtf?"

My boss, who owns several harness racing thoroughbreds, was building a training facility for them, equipped with a horse pool. I was about 11 feet off the ground, walking on joists, when I stepped on one that wasn't completely screwed off. Needless to say the fucker broke and I went down right before it. 11 feet to the ground, and another 10 feet to the bottom of the pool. Which had about 6 inches of water in it.

Now falling itself isn't that scary. It happens so quick. In my desperation i was grabbing at anything to stop myself. Bad Idea. My hand caught on the joist hanger, cut it for 6 stitches, and sent me into a barrel roll. I co-worker commented after how it looked like a "fuckin deadly mctwist". Right about here everything went into slow motion. While falling I caught a glimpse of the joist I had stepped on. It was coming down right behind me. I was dead for sure. If it landed on my chest or head, I'd be fucked. I just closed my eyes.

When I opened them I was laying on my side in the 6 inches of dirty water. A joist lay directly beside me and my drill still attached to the power cord at my feet. The drill was the fist thing in the water, Tripping the breaker a mere half second before i fell in. The joist must of missed me by inches.

The moment right before I built up the courage to try and move my toes was the scariest thing I've ever been through. Although it was the first thing I did, I felt like minutes.

whats yours?

fack man, im just glad ur ok.

Mine...kinda 2, one was up north in ontario snowy as fuck and I came down a corner and hit some ice under snow and my car did like 2 360's and was up on 2 tires and coulda flipped but it didnt. My other was back when i was young and was an avid swimmer/diver. I swam down deep and i must have forgot about the ascent. So on my way back up I started to lose breath, momentum cause of this and the surface looked so far away. I was grabbin and kickin for the surface and shit was so black around all i could see was the sun. Lets just say just before i was gonna open my mouth, my fingers broke the surface. Thats what i can remember right now lol.

Holy crap man.. thats a long way to fall ffs... Ill tell you one thats related to yours.. Im not sure it was my scariest moment evar, but it has to be up there..

Basically it was a bad fallw hen i was mountainbiking. Trail i'd done many times before, section i'd cleaned many times before, but for some reason i just biffed it extra had, and went over the handlebars. The terrain was ' fairly ' steep for Burnaby mountain, so i got up some decent speed in no time, and when i went over the bars i started fliping over like you tend to do ( this has happened to me well over a hundred times, im sure ).. Anyways.. THIS particular time i didn't quite make it all the way around before i collided with a big, half rotted stump sticking out of the hill - I still dont really know what happened to me in the air - i think i kind of rotated sideways as well as ass-over-teakettle, but basically what happened is that the back of my head smashed into this stump so hard i blacked out for a second...

I remember coming to, and i was all lynig in a heap, head downhill, legs *mostly* pointing uphill. I was still pretty stunned, but as i opened my eyes and felt myself lying still, this terror washed over me because i thought for some reason i'd been paralyzed... I remember all that went through my head from the moment i came to was ' move your legs, move your legs ! ' and so i tried.. man.. that was the wost part right there - I tried to move, but the way i was twisted up, nothing happened right away - i started wiggling and yeah, i was totally fine, but it took a couple seconds to register that i was actually OK, that my legs and feet an shit were actually moving when and how i told them to. MAN that sucked. If it wasn't for the fact that i'd hit a pretty rotten stump, i might have had something that looked like a serious injury ( the girl riding behind me, who is a RMT thought i'd broken my neck cause of how i hit, for sure )... The 'cool' part, if you can call it that, was that it looked like a cannonball hit the tree stump -all the rotten wood was scooped out where the back of my head hit it - And even cooler was what happened to my helmet.. the whole freaking back part just *crushed* . Not quite like a stepped-on-soda can, but close. just mashed. I felt a little sick looking at it, thinking it could have been my skull instead. yugh.

The other time that reminds me of Nova's story was when i was driving my '77 dodge ramcharger in the snow for the second time. I came over the top of a reaaaally big hill probably 5KM too fast ( i must have been doing 20Km/Hr, i was being sooo carefull) but as soon as i crested that sumbitch, i knew i was fucked. The scary part was that 1) the hill is super steep, and 2) there is a stop light RIGHT at the bottom of the hill. The other scary part i guess was that there were cars parked on either side of the hill ( abotu a dozen or so i guess ), i was in the truck with my then-girlfriend ( now wifz0rz ) and i was still a pretty new driver ( i was 18 ) ... well HO-LY-SHIT. AS i lost control, i just tried to steer so i didn't hit the cars, that was alli could think to do.. Now im not bragging - it was sheer fuckin luck, but SOMEhow, i didn't hit *anything* the whole way down - nothing, not even the curbs ! oh man, and what a long trip down.. No joke, my truck must have spun around at LEAST 3 times, and i remember as i was coming down, goin round and round, that the light changed from green to RED. lol, it's funny what you remember... I dont know how i did it to this day, but i just kept steering left, then right, then left, then right as the truck spun, and i KNEW everyone at the bottom of thehill could see me coming - hard to miss a giant truck doing 360's down a hill i guess, with the lights flashing around like a lighthouse ( i never even had a chance to hit the horn, din even occur to me ) .... The only really funny part was that as i realised i was going to be ok, i started paying attention to where exactly i was more than how thee truck was turning ( and which way to countersteer the gigantic, tractionless sumbitch ) and saw that, miracle of miracles, i had finished my slide perfectly parallel with the crosswalk, right in the middle of the stree. And just as i did so, the light turned red for me, and the cars that had waited through an entire light change for me to either slide past or smash the fuck into something just sloooowly started to carry on their merry way, as if nothing had happened. now THAT was a fucked up moment in my life. Im not sure it was even scary - not at the time, anyways - but after, wheni realised just how wrong that could have gone.. wow.. yea.. i was scared !!!

I've also had a bad run-in with riptide on a beach in Oregon, where i thought my little brother and I were going to die for reals, but it was OK and nobody shit their pants in the end ( the end only coming after about 15 minutes of crying and screaming while trying to walk back to shore as the riptipe sucked us back..where the fuck were my parents!!? ).. but im telling you it was close.. and a looooong time before i could go anywhere near a beach. THAT was definately an encounter that stuck in my mind because i was so scared for such a prolonged period of time, and even though i remember there were people on the beach, nobody realised or could tell we were in trouble.

Ah well, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right ?

Thanks for starting the thread Cody, pretty cool idea.. if thats the right word.. hehe..

• 2 weeks later...
I was driving down the highway once when i was 16, had the ol' Cordoba's cruise control set at 150 km/h, hot summer day........ fell asleep. What woke me up was the long weeds in the ditch hitting the floorboards under my feet. I look up, see myself in the ditch, panic and wrench the wheel back towards the road. Well, when i did that, the wheels started spinning in the dirt(good old mopar big block power at 150 km/h) and i totally lost control when i hit the pavement again. so there i am fishtailing like crazy all over the highway which was a 2 lane undivided one and here comes this semi...... For some reason the thought of hitting the brakes never even crossed my mind, i was just fighting the fistailing back and forth across BOTH lanes of the highway. well the ass end of my car JUST MISSED by inches the semi who had swerved into the shoulder. I'm talking if the semi had been 2 seconds farther down the road he would have hit me right in the driver side door. crazy scary close. I finally remembered that brakes existed and pulled the car over and got out to have a smoke, and i was shaking so bad i couldn't drive for about half an hour after.

these stories kick ass.

Im doing pretty good actually, thanks.

Physiotherapist had told me shortly after that i couldnt have got off easier. I was pretty much just sleeping the first 4 days of my recovery, T3s and muscle relaxers will do that to a guy. Im still get sore from time to time but its become just annoying now rather than painful.

Im counting my blessings.

Shit man, no doubt.

So.. the rest of you guys.. I KNOW you come out of your basements SOMETIMES : ) Tell us your stories ! They dont have to be long or elaborate... I totally find that sort of thing interesting too..

Its really amazing to think sometimes how many close calls we rack up in the course of growing up. Its sortof a wonder that we make it at all.. As a new parent, i find myself thinking about that all the damn time now.. kinda freaky : )

This one time, I was coming out the basement, I went to the fridge and there wasn't any more pizza pops or coke. Scariest moment E-V-A-R. Okay, but seriously, hmm...it's not a scare like falling or being injured. After moving out here to Vancouver I spent the looongest time looking for work without finding anything at all. I started to run out of money and I wasn't going to able to last the next month. I wouldn't of been able to pay rent and I would of had to go back to my moms place on the stupid island that is Vancouver Island. However, that all changed and I'm happily working in the field which I went to school for.

The scariest moment for me was the night I drank 13 Jagerbombs. I ended up laying on my friend's couch with my heart racing a mile a minute and being in a cold sweat. We figure I was just a cunt-hair from having a heart attack.

ooh, ooh.. on that note... Has anyone here heard of the redbull sucessor drink ( by the same company) called " Cocaine " ? it was all over the internets a lil while back.. they claim it hits you within 5 minutes, last 5 hours and is basically 350% (percent, not times) stronger than Redbull. THAT sounds like a portable heart attack in a can imnsho... fwuuh!

The other time that reminds me of Nova's story was when i was driving my '77 dodge ramcharger in the snow for the second time. I came over the top of a reaaaally big hill probably 5KM too fast ( i must have been doing 20Km/Hr, i was being sooo carefull) but as soon as i crested that sumbitch, i knew i was fucked. The scary part was that 1) the hill is super steep, and 2) there is a stop light RIGHT at the bottom of the hill. The other scary part i guess was that there were cars parked on either side of the hill ( abotu a dozen or so i guess ), i was in the truck with my then-girlfriend ( now wifz0rz ) and i was still a pretty new driver ( i was 18 ) ... well HO-LY-SHIT.  AS i lost control, i just tried to steer so i didn't hit the cars, that was alli could think to do..  Now im not bragging - it was sheer fuckin luck, but SOMEhow, i didn't hit *anything* the whole way down - nothing, not even the curbs ! oh man, and what a long trip down.. No joke, my truck must have spun around at LEAST 3 times, and i remember as i was coming down, goin round and round, that the light changed from green to RED. lol, it's funny what you remember... I dont know how i did it to this day, but i just kept steering left, then right, then left, then right as the truck spun, and i KNEW everyone at the bottom of thehill could see me coming - hard to miss a giant truck doing 360's down a hill i guess, with the lights flashing around like a lighthouse ( i never even had a chance to hit the horn, din even occur to me ) .... The only really funny part was that as i realised i was going to be ok, i started paying attention to where exactly i was more than how thee truck was turning ( and which way to countersteer the gigantic, tractionless sumbitch ) and saw that, miracle of miracles, i had finished my slide perfectly parallel with the crosswalk, right in the middle of the stree. And just as i did so, the light turned red for me, and the cars that had waited through an entire light change for me to either slide past or smash the fuck into something just sloooowly started to carry on their merry way, as if nothing had happened. now THAT was a fucked up moment in my life. Im not sure it was even scary - not at the time, anyways - but after, wheni realised just how wrong that could have gone.. wow.. yea.. i was scared !!!

haha, I like that one, it has a certain comedic feeling about it. Makes me think of something you would see in one of those Christmas movies.

Scariest for me, hmm, I can't think of much, I try to stay away from situations like that. But I guess, when I was skiing when I was little, and wasn't very good. We were on a blue or something and the only blue was the first part, and I was trying to slow down because I got going way to fast, so being the excellent skier I was I simply sat on my ass. Well I was going to fast and the run was to steep, so this really didn't work. Now on the right side of the hill was a cliff looking thing, at least from what I could tell, and I was headed for it haha.. Ya, all I remember is scrambling like a mother fucker trying to stop and then finally someone our family was skiing with cut in front of me and stopped me lol. I think i was like 4-5 feet away from the edge. It was pretty scary at the time.