Friday Night Firefight Forums

Need some car help

Tekmo

I was thinking about getting a car within the next few months. I have absolutely no idea about cars; what should be a necessity, what's not really needed, etc. For example, I was just looking at a car on Hyudai's site and looking between the highend model and the low end, the high end had "remote keyless entry" where as the low end model didn't I assume this can be something much cheaper and easily installed than getting it bundled with the car (and other things like that).

The two models I had in mind are the Mitsubishi 2006 Eclipse or a Hyundai Tiburon. Money wise, I'm looking to spend the least amount that I can but still have a good car. Something like around $20,000 payments of $200-300/month. No gas guzzlers either, something that's fuel efficient.

I'd just be using the car to get to and from school and/or work, and then taking it out on the weekends. So that'd be taken into consideration for fuel efficency. I wouldn't be going out every night, type of deal, which would then take up more gas and make it harder to judge on fuel effiency...I think, maybe. I really don't know http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

I'm pretty sure Adam is a huge car guy. But if anyone else knows anything or has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Both cars you listed have the base model and the performance model. Both come with a V6 and are NOT good on gas in that trim. The smaller engines on those cars are fuel efficient but the size of the cars (they are both big cars) make them feel like ass with the smaller motors. Do you want coupe or hatchback? 2 door or 4 door? If your looking for a car just to get you around both the cars you listed are not practical for a "what you get for your money" way of thought. They are more tuner oriented cars. I really like the Tiburon Styling in fact I think they look awesome. What about the Mazda 3? Nissan Sentra? Toyota.... ok nm toyota licks balls. Unless you want a Echo that you can drive for a month on a tank of gas lol. VW are to expensive. Honda... im biased you cant go wrong with honda. There are some new GM cars that are OK. Its all up to you dood. I really like the Tiberon did I say that?

Berz out.

You must be driving a hybrid, Justin...

Jamie, you can't go wrong with a Honda. I don't know how traffic is where you are, but if it's bad, don't get stick, although it's usually cheaper. You want A/C and heater for sure, power windows and power other stuff isn't as necessary and if you don't have it, it means one less thing to break. Make sure you're getting the passenger side mirror. Do your research way ahead of time. If you're going for a car that there's a lot of out there, like a Honda Civic, then let the car dealers fight each other to get you the best price.

www.edmunds.com is a great site for this sort of thing. It'll show you what people in your area are paying for the car. The best time to go to the dealer to buy is on the last day/week of the month. This is the BEST TIME of the year to buy, cause it's just after christmas and people are broke and aren't buying as many cars. So you can haggle with them even more. Remember, they are trying to fuck you. They are the enemy. They are not PEOPLE. They are salespeople.

Most important thing to remember. If you go to the dealer and you are not comfortable, LEAVE. Seriously. And don't let them stick you with the dealer fee. Also, find out beforehand how you're going to pay for the car so they don't fuck you with the financing.

GL!

I think that you should buy a car you like.

if you like the civic ex model. dont settle for the dx. you wont like it and ull just sell it and lose the money you saved on the dx on the sale and purchase of your next car.

also, decide how long you are planning on keeping it, then take a look at the resale value.

the two biggest things to consider imo are resale value(unless you plan on driving it into the ground) and reliability.

I just bought a new car, used car the on Wednesday the 11th. Here are some links to think about for reviews and resell value to consider when shopping:

www.canadiandriver.com

and www.canadianblackbook.com,

YOu can check reviews on past "____"car and how bad it depreciates if you buy new, and what it's average value is if you are buying used ( or what you get if someone totals off your car).