Friday Night Firefight Forums

New monitor for Cril

Hey guys! I've just completed a job and got paid $700. After buying our computer off of my brother for $400, I have $300 to spend on a monitor, as he's keeping his. At the moment, I'm looking at getting this Samsung flatscreen 19" CRT. It's about $285 after tax, so it's in the perfect price range. I've Googled it, but I can't find any reviews or anything for it. So, I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I want to know if it's worth the money, reliable, and will last a while. Getting an LCD is out of the question, they're just too expensive for me at the moment. Besides, I have absolutely no objection to a CRT. So, any help or info is appreciated, especially if you know how I could save a bit of cash. I expect it'll cost another $30 or so just for shipping, 'cuz it's so huge. Any ideas?

-Cril

I got a dell 19 inch LCD for 285 shipped to california, but your in canada, so im not sure what dell is like for you canadians. It is great for everything... ghosts sometimes in CS, by i cannot fully comment on gaming as i have a shit video card, and my vid cards refresh rate doesnt go above 70 Hz, so the monitors not being used to its potential. Shipping was free to the US.

before: i want a picture that u taken in ur house

after vader: Dear Sir, would you be so kind as to photograph for us a monitor that you have not yet bought in your home? Perhaps it would be possible for you to procure a so-called "time machine" so that you may journey into the future and capture an image such as the one I have requested. If you cannot procure a "time machine," then mayhap I can get you in contact with the right people.

Cheerio and toodles.

Your Chum,

The Evilest of Ethics...

Cril, I have a 17" Samsung that I've had for around 3 or 4 years now and it's never let me down. If you're into lcd's, might want to see if you can get a deal on what Justin got.

Ethic, I'm going to start editing your posts for grammar.

Tempted to get what Justin got, but you have to realize that's in US monies, and I only got Canadian ones. That'd be about $350 CAN. And, I simply can't stand ghosting at all. I tried playing CS on my uncles 19" LCD, and it drove me insane. When it was discussed in that other monitor thread, an LCD that didn't ghost at all was significantly more expensive, and WAY out of my price range. I'm pretty sure a CRT is the only way to go.

But I was thinking, NCIX is in the Burnaby/Greater Vancouver area, no? If I were to purchase it, would someone familiar in that area *Cough*Steve*Cough* be able to pick it up for me? I'll buy you a beer...

-Cril

I don't know anything specific about that particular CRT cril but I've heard of less problems with CRT's now a days then you used to, so I think no matter what you get you should be happy (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Ya I did end up getting a LCD and yes it was significantly more price wise then a comparable CRT and no I don't think its better then the CRT I had but yes it does weigh 100lbs less then my CRT did and yes it doesn't wreck my desk the way my old one was. All depends on what your looking for but I'd say you would be happy with a CRT cril.

You'll have to post a pic after you get a monitor set up so we can see your new bada$$ set up.

Blue

Yes NCIX is in the Vancouver area.

Yes go with a CRT, i've personally tested out CS 1.6 and source on a few LCD's and trust me. It is not the way to go. The darker areas in the maps are extremely dark on LCD's to the point that you can't see there unless you use a flashlight, and the refresh rates aren't that great unless you pay the $$$$$$ for the top top top of the line ones. I actually own a LCD as well, which I love for movies and such, so i'm not biased if that's what people think.

I guess I love the 120hz refresh of my 21" CRT http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png, but the sucker is over 50lbs.

Well, I'm pretty sure I'll get that monitor then. The question is, how do I get it? Steve says NCIX is about 10mins from where he is. I figure I can order it online, then pick it up after I leave the meet Monday afternoonish. That is, if I can find the place. I tend to get lost easily...

-Cril

NCIX is one of the best places to buy stuff, if you live in Western Canada. I always buy my stuff from there. They have customer reviews and comments that are very helpful. And they guarantee the lowest price( I price match with an Ontario companie often called canadacomputers.com...note there is a 2% upcharge @ canadacomputers.com so NCIX adds that to the price @ canadacomputers.com when price matching).

I've had some baaad costomer service from those guys. Sure, some of their prices are $5-$10 cheaper, but I don't trust them. When I initially ordered my system several years ago (This was from atic.com), I was part of a huge order with my brothers and friends. They held the whole thing back because the processor their site said was in stock actually wasn't. Not only that, but it went on sale while they were waiting for it to get in stock, and they charged us normal pricing. I don't like them anymore. NCIX, though, we've had no problems with.

-Cril

• 3 weeks later...

Bah. The monitor is out of stock on NCIX. Normally, I'd order it and they'd ship it when it comes in, but I'm getting a 'Product is not available" that won't let me add it to my cart. So, my first option(s) are to either wait, or buy another monitor from them.

Or.

The local Staples has the

ViewSonic A91F+ on sale for $160 from $200. It too is a 19" CRT, so it's essentially what I'm looking for. And, if I buy it from there I don't have to deal with shipping. I'd probably save a significant amount of money. The thing is, I can't find reviews for this monitor either. Also, I've never had a ViewSonic, so I don't know if they're any good either. The sale ends by the end of the week, so I should decide soon. If you guys could lend me a hand at determining the quality of this monitor it'd be *so* much appreciated.

-Cril

*Edit* Well, I'ma moron. I forgot to add the "+" when searching for reviews. There's quite a few, I'm having a look through them.