Friday Night Firefight Forums

Why I dont like CS:Source

Cody

Gotta get up alot earlier in the morning to beat pappa etru, cody :

http://www.fnfclan.com/forums/index.php?sh...indpost&p=27507

but really, all arguments aside ( pro, con w/e ) what is undeniable is that the whole system of server side hit prediction is obviously an imperfect art - It literally ammounts to a best-guess process, which is no better than the coders writing the best-guess hit detection. This has got to be the #1 reason it feels so 'flukey' when you're playing *any* game based on these principles. Its why increasing a servers tickrate *does* help but never actually ' cures ' bad hit registration.

On a personal note, i think this sort of thing doesnt bother me so much because deep down, i play to be entertained.. No.. getting headshotted a million times in a row isn't all that entertaining, but that sting.. thats pride fuckin with ya. I find souce just so very much more entertaining, even the headshots, and thats the bottom line for me. If i played to win i'd strip my cs down and tweak it for max efficiency ad nauseum, but i guess i really dont play to win, so much as i play to have a good time. Yea, winning = good time, but winning isnt all that matters to me. So no need to apologise, there's plenty of room for both games in my opinion...

One plays better, and one looks better. about all there is to it imho : )

yeah seen that so like over two weeks ago http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

and as steve mentioned in his previous post: cs has had 6 years to make sure their game is working decently and i will never say perfectly as thats impossible (lag, pc issues, etc).

That is all and nice that they've had 6 years to make the game work decently, but they haven't addressed to biggest problem in my opinion, and that is the hacking aspect of the game.

I concur. But I think there's plenty of things that can be done server side to combat that. Like punkbuster and stuff like that.

I almost feel bad for valve getting dumped on for all the cheating. It'd be like buying a computer and getting mad at Dell because a year later or a few months later, a program is made that can't be run on the computer.

yea you know, it's a tough spot to be in. You make this great game that essentially becomes top dog in its category in the whole wide world, and so of course it attracts allt he worlds spoil sports annddd.... of course everyone looks at you to lay blame on.. So what do you do ? Do you just kinda do the bare minimum, because you're a game company, and you just want to make games ? Or do you bit the bullet, set aside a respectable ammoung of your operating budget, and start ( what i imagine would have to be substantial ) a anti-hack/cheat team ?

I think, frankly, you have to to the latter. Its just not fair to the community to force them to wait for some volunteer effort to start up and take care of the insecuritie sin your game. No, you as a company never asked anyone to break / cheat your game, but it's your game, and taking ownership of the problem only endears your fans to you even more over time. I would forgive faaaaar more of valve if i knew stopping cheating was a high priority for them, instead of something they do reluctantly. I know they're doing more and more, but .. man.. those couple years between 1.x - 1.6 that were so brutal.. arrrrgh... so frustrating. and VAC ? ppsshhhh.. VAC2 i cant comment on.. but.. jeeze.. make a balls-out effort already, valve !!

No kidding, you'd think that if they could offer a 100% (yes i know it's wishfull thinking) more people would play the game and stay with it. I know a few people who quit playing games online just cause of all the hackers out there. They didn't find it fun so they quit playing, which is very unfortunate. I don't know what the Game Makers standings on cheats/hacks are. Maybe they make enough money on the original game that they don't care about it. Or perhaps they think it's like the computer industry, evolving too quickly to do anything about it. You make an anti-cheat for it, then all of a sudden someone comes and makes a new cheat to beat that system.

Now if only CAL adopted the CEVO anti-cheat system. I know it's far from perfect, but it's the best one out there so far, IMO.

CEVO has to be. One can not expect people to pay to play their way and then have such vast, wide-spread problems such as hacking teams in whats considered high-level gaming that CAL has. It would ruin the point of having to pay an entrance fee and the league would be deemed a joke. Instead it is proving its worth its weight in gold and in turn is showing how pathetic CAL truely is.

Do you think that's why CAL hasn't switched to a pay system yet. They were planning on it.

I think if Cal goes pay to play, they lose some of the traffic on their site. Right now, Cal can justify charging x amount of money for ads because they get a lot of people. If they lose people because of the pay to play system, sure, they will have a better environment to play in, but they will have less members or registrants for the leagues because of the pay to play issue, which will probably shoot a hole in any justification they have for wanting more money.

Also.

It's gotta be one hell of a pain in the ass to institute something like what CEVO has. I mean, you've seen how "great" CAL is about dealing with disputes. I can't imagine how smoothly they'd deal with an anti cheat system.

I think valve released CSS and all that new source stuff to keep up with the times. (Halo, Doom3, Farcry.....) I dont think they Had competative play too much in mind. Which woulda been the smart thing to do to keep the long term customers. However, all you gota do is pump out a pretty game, get all the nubs that get excited about moving barrles, (which, we are all guilty of) sell couple hundred thousand copies,

then give the dedicated customers the finger while valve walks their ass all the way to the bank.

Lol i dont even know if all that even made sense but i need to practice writing for the SAT's somehow.

And sorry if its offtopic but like 4 people posted while i was writing lol i take 20 min break inbetween each sentence lol