Friday Night Firefight Forums

What games are you playing?

Crilix

Ok, so liek this autumn and winter is hella insane for games - what are alls y'all playing? What are you looking forward to?

Right now I'm in the middle of Far Cry 2. Never before have I seen such a game where, no matter where you are, you can turn around and be presented with a beautiful vista. Everywhere you go there are incredible visuals to take your breath away. Sunsets, sunrises, storms, roaming wildlife, sprawling plains, twisty rivers... It's really incredible. So far the gameplay itself is kinda mediocre - it has interesting presentation in that it's a really fluid first-person perspective. Moving around, repairing vehicles, and healing yourself are all fairly well done, and really immersive. I particularly like the map system, where you physically pull out a map and compass where you want to know where you are. On the downside, you end up doing this far too often because the game is so huge and you end up doing so much traveling. It wouldn't be nearly so bad if there were at least twice as many warp points, but instead you end up driving everywhere. It's especially bad because there are so many patrols and checkpoints that you can seldom outrun or escape without having to stop and take care of the pursuers. Also, it's really annoying how *everyone* shoots you. They make a big point about different factions, but it's lame how non of them are ever on your side or are even neutral to you. Also, stealth is hard, the AI is sharp, the economy is kinda frustrating, and the story is hard to follow.

Aside from that I'm mainly playing a bit of TF2 here and there, as well as a decent amount of Grid: Race Driver. Damn, that game is easily the best racer I've ever played - I am SO addicted. Apparently there's an expansion/DLC in the works, which I'm waiting to arrive on PC.

BUT! There are a few games coming up that I'm pretty excited for. Most notably, of course, is Left 4 Dead. I've already preordered it, and can't wait for the demo next week. Then there's Mirror's Edge which looks unique, GTAIV which looks fun, and Need for Speed Undercover which looks... Like simple, mindless fun. Apparently I *need* to try Dead Space, even though I'm not a fan of horror/thriller games. And maybe I'll keep an eye out for Red alert 3, I've always been a C&C fan.

So yeah, what are you guys playing these days? What are you looking forward to?

-Cril

Edit: There's been a big deal being made about Fallout 3. I've never played any of the previous titles, I wasn't really a huge fan of Oblivion, and apparently the FPS aspects aren't that solid. Is it worth checking out?

Myself i am playing Warhammer Online inbetween eventually getting and trying out Fallout 3. Looking forward to Far Cry 2, the next call of duty installment and i hear a star trek mmo is comin out too lol