Friday Night Firefight Forums

Fucking Rogers Tech BS

Tekmo

I just had a fun night. I had to write Rogers customer service an email. It explains everything so I'll just cut and paste it:

I received my bill and it was noted with a charge of $140.35 for 2,513KB data usage. I called Billing (Aug 13th, 2008 @ 7:21PM PST) to inquire about the charges and to look into the possibility of having them lowered. I spoke with a gentleman named Dave. I explained the situation and that I had even called previously to specifically cancel any outgoing or incoming wireless data transfers to prevent this from occurring as my phone is EDGE capable.

After inquiring with Dave if there was anything that could be done to lower the charges his reply was simply no and that he felt the charges were justified. I explained to Dave that Rogers has a current data plan for $30 which includes 6GB worth of data, while I was being charged $140.35 for 2.5MB (there's 1000MB in 1GB). I again asked Dave if there was anything that could be done to have the charge lowered. His answer was that there was still nothing that could be done. I mentioned that I have been with Rogers for more than 4 years and have not had any such problems untill now. Dave could see this on my account and at this point changed his mind and offered a compramise of a $40 credit. A bit confused at this sudden change of mind I asked if there was still nothing else that could be done, his reply was $40. I asked if I could speak to a manager and Dave informed me that he was a floor manager and that he could debate the charge all night if possible and that it was up to him on how much could be credited back. When asking why $40 he explained that because of the existing $30 data plan and on top of that he would give me $10 for my time/troubles.

I asked if it could be a credit of $40.35 to make it an even $100. He then put things to me this way "$40 going once. $40 going twice..." in a count down. At this point I was a bit speechless and felt as though I was backed into a corner; what else could I do? if I say no I would have to pay the full charge and I would be back to square one. I was very much pressured into saying OK to his $40 offer. He credited me $40 and was about to read me my current balance when he asked me what I had just said. I had not said anything as I was waiting to hear what my final balance would be. I wasn't sure if he was speaking to me until he asked again "what did you just say?" I told him I had not said anything as I was waiting to hear what my final balance was. I found this to be very rude, was he accusing me of saying something improper or insulting? Before hanging up I asked for his name and employee number. He said Dave and gave me the number: 0813868

I called 611 again but this time instead of Billing I proceeded to General to discuss what had just occurred. A very nice and helpful rep, Andrea took my call and listened to my cicumstances and what had just happened with Dave. Andrea was very helpful and quickly helped me resolve the issue regarding the charges for the data. She gave me a list of options I could do to file a formal complaint. I chose to speak with a manager.

I was transfered to Andrea's manager, Crsytal; who, in turn was also very polite and helpful. Crsytal informed me of this email address and confirmed Dave's information. However, the employee number that she gave me differs from what Dave himself gave. Dave told me 0813868 while Crsytal read out 1652863.

After hanging up with Dave I felt that as a customer my rights had been violated and that I should not have been forced into making a decission such as that. I should not have been given a count down ultimatum.

Sincerely,

Jamie Taniguchi

So, we'll see what customer service has to say over all of this. I was fully prepared to pay the fee because I knew I would be charged *something* for using the EDGE network. I just couldn't see how 2.5MB worth of usage justifies $140.35. Depending on the outcome I may email the consumerist (http://consumerist.com/) to warn all other fellow Canadians about Dave. I was genuinely shocked when the tech rep told me the whole charge had been reversed (that easy) when I had originally called to complain.

Cody, I plan on it http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

Frank, thanks. I proof-read the letter twice before sending it off.

Cril, on the second call the girl reversed all charges for the 2.5MB network/EDGE usage. I barely had to explain my situation about the usage and she reversed the charges. I didn't write down the actual amount but SMS charges were included in that $140. It was $120.xx for the 2.5MB, which, is still absolutely ridiculous.

I haven't received word from Rogers, yet. I'll be calling them tomorrow in the morning to see what's going on, or, if they are even aware of my situation. I'll most likely be contacting the consumerist tomorrow evening after I get home. If the story makes it onto the consumerist I'll send it off to Engadget and Gizmodo. Very unlikely that either of the two would post about it but it's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...