Friday Night Firefight Forums

Top 10 Games of All Time

So I was thinking the other day that it would be interesting to see what everyone's top 10 favorite games of all time are. We all have our own lists i'm sure, and i'm sure that they all vary in many ways. Some will have games that some of us have never played, some will have games that other's have played and thought that they were not good at all. So, dig down deep and think of all the different games that you've played throughout your life and tell us which 10 have really had the biggest impact on you. The games can be from any era, all systems including PC and any genre. The only "rule" to it though is 1 game per series. It wouldn't be much of a top 10 list if you had 10 final fantasy games on there.

So to start things off here are my Top 10 favorite games of all time and the reason why I put them on there.

10. Halo 3

System: Xbox 360

To start the list off I went with Halo 3. I'm sure there are people that would say that Halo: Combat Evolved is the best out of the series, but for me I easily enjoyed Halo 3 over the others in the series. what really made this game for me was that it ended perfectly. There really was no other way to end it. Add in the addictive online multiplayer, the online 4 player co-op, the forge and the theater mode and this game easily surpasses the previous 2 in the series.

9. Advent Rising

System: Xbox and PC

The main thing that I really enjoyed about Advent Rising wasn't its gameplay, in fact the game itself suffered from a few bugs and glitches that unfortuanetly caused it to not rate very well. These glitches and bugs were not very common and possibly were fixed on the PC version, but I played the original Xbox version of it. The thing that made Advent Rising for me was the dynamic and entertaining storyline. The script was written by Orson Scott Card and stands out to me as one of the best video game stories that I have ever played. The game was slated to be a trilogy, but unfortuanetly because of the bad ratings and the developers shifting their focus to handheld games, its likely we will never get to see this trilogy finished which is a true shame.

8. Resident Evil 4

System: Gamecube, PS2, Wii

Resident Evil 4 basically rejuvinated the Resident Evil franchise with its stellar gameplay and much improved control scheme. Resident Evil 4 provided a refreshing change to the series which was on a steady decline due to numerous bad games in the series being released. The reason this game stands out for me and is on the list is because it was just such an amazing game to play. It's really no wonder this game won so many game of the year awards.

7. Secret of Mana

System: SNES

This game definetly brings back some great memories. I have played through this game numerous times and each time was just as fun as the last. Allowing up to 3 players to play simultaneously, something rarely seen in rpgs back then is what really made this game so much fun. That, along with a great story and excellent gameplay made this a game that I will always remember. Its too bad that the majority of Mana games since have been so disappointing.

6. Mass Effect

System: Xbox 360 and PC

This has to be the best RPG I have played in awhile and I still find myself picking it up and playing it every now and then. What made this game so great was not just its fantastic story, its excellent mix of rpg and fps styles of gameplay, but also I would have to say that in my opinion it is the best looking Xbox 360 game out there. For anyone who hasn't played it I would definetely recommend this one.

5. Gears of War

What makes Gears of War such a great game to play for me is the co-op. I have yet to actually play this game through from start to finish in the single player campaign as it would just pale in comparison to the co-op experience. with a good mix of challenging gameplay and a decent storyline this game is just a blast to play with a friend. I've recently just started playing through it again with a friend and I'm enjoying it just as much now, if not more then I did before.

4. Final Fantasy 6 (3 in North America)

System: SNES

I think its only fitting that Final Fantasy makes an appearance on any top 10 list, but for some it can be a tough decision to choose just which one but for me it was a no brainer. For me, Final Fantasy 6 was the last of the great Final Fantasy games. I know I'm probably going to get some flack for that comment, as alot of people tend to lean towards 7 as being the greatest Final fantasy. In my defense though, the story, characters and overall tone of the game just make it such a great game to play. With a wide variety of character's to choose from, each with their own unique backgrounds and combat techniques this game offer's alot of variety which is great. Also, Sephiroth ain't got nothin on Kefka.

3. Bioshock

Bioshock is probably one of the best fps games that I have ever played and that is mainly due to its amazing story. Few games have kept me so enthralled with the story that I really had a hard time putting it down. Mix this in with some customizable weapons and abilities and its a recipe for awesomeness. Never again will I be able to hear "would you kindly" without shuddering.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4

System: PS3

Without a doubt the best game that I have played so far this year. You can tell that it is a labor of love for Hideo Kojima who really seems to have put everything he had into making this game. From the amazing storyline to the epic battles and cutscenes there is really nothing negative that I can say about this game, except maybe that it has probably more hours spent in cutscenes then it does in actual gameplay!

1. Kingdom Hearts

System: PS2

If you're anything like me, when you heard that Squaresoft was teaming up with Disney to make a video game you probably though "wow, that's gonna suck". When I first played this game I couldn't get into it at all, there was just something about running around beating up bad guys with Donald Duck and Goofy as your sidekicks that just wasn't doing anything for me. A few months later I decided to give it a 2nd try, and something just clicked and I was hooked. This game has a deep and dramatic storyline which honestly at times had me on the verge of tears. The game is a great mix of rpg and action elements and has some of the most beautiful visuals on the PS2 for its time. Everything was bright and colorful, the music, which mainly comprised of versions of famous Disney music depending on what world you were on was also very well done. It was a tough choice for me to choose between the original and the sequel, but I decided to go with the original as it was the game that got me hooked, but the game only got better in the sequel. For anyone who hasn't played it and owns a PS2 or even a backwards compatible PS3 you owe it to yourself to give these games a try. Don't let the Disney character's fool you into thinking its just a game for kids, you will shortly find yourself mistaken.

Posting now to save my spot and will Edit later with my list.... LOL I was thinking it was just going to be a list not an indept look at why you liked it. You just raised the bar and now I'm actually gonna have to THINK and type... I hate you.

10. Galaga

I still own at Galaga in the arcade... I can go to a machine at any time and get the top score lol.

9. Silent Scope (Arcade) I like to shoot shit. Using a pretend sniper rifle with a functional scope and nailing long range headshots is sweet. I used to cheat a bit and just use the scope on the screen to aim... but they changed that and now you actually have to look down the scope to play... makes it more real and I like it even more.

8. Silent Hill

The first game of the Horror Genre that I played. I remember playing this in pitch black darkness and actually feeling "scared" and tense as fuck lol. I think it broke the ice for this style of game and lead the way for the future of other popular horror games like Resident Evil.

7. Street Fighter 2 Champions Edition(not hyper or any other of that other ghey shit)

Ive spent a shitload of quarters on this game haha. I remember going to this one pizza place beside the movie theater and playing for hours on a couple quarters. The asain kids were better than the white kids cuz it was out in China long before it came here. After hour and hours and many a dollar spent I was the bestest. I used to let the kid I was playing pick my guy for me and still all I would hear is "Gimme Seconds!" Refering to letting your opponent win the 2nd round out of 3 so they didnt totally waste their quarter lol.

6. Assassins Creed

Fucking stellar game. The gameplay and graphics were awesome. The freerunning fun as hell. I might be a little spoiled but I was playing this game on a 110" HD projecter with surround sound. When you do the jumps off the towers... it would actually make your stomach do flips. Stealth neck slicing has never been so much fun! Advanced sword control was also awesome. I also played Bioshock on this screen... I will upload a pic later. Only thing I didn't like was the ending.

5. Mario Kart

What's not to like about Mario Kart. I actually had my name printed in Nintendo Power for the fastest lap time on Mario Circuit. They had a contest and I was the winna. I can powerslide like a mofo.. Now that I have it on Wii I'm addicted alllll over again but now its even worse cuz I have to steer with the wheel!!!!

4. Guitar Hero/ Rockband

Another game I cant get enough of. When I first started playing I would look at videos on Youtube watching people play on expert and think "FUCK THAT its impossible! I will never be that good nor do I want to be!".... Now I'm that good lol. Expert FTMFW! Joining up with some friends and jamming away for hours is awesome.... its actually creepy how fun playing fake plastic guitars is lol. You know when people have rockband parties....something is good.

3. Bioshock

Coming from a PC shooter background I just have really hated console FPS. I hate Halo cuz I suck and can't aim. If you could use a mouse and Keyboard I might like it but I've only played with a controler and it sux balls dying. Bioshock got me so engrossed in the story that I forgot how much I hate console FPS. The ambiance and sounds are unreal if your in a surround sound room. Graphics and "shit you can do" are 2nd to none as well as the whole idea. Its a fucking awesome game and if it weren't for my number 1 and 2 pics... it WOULD be number 1.

2. Counter Strike

Ok, I don't know if I am putting this here cuz its my 2nd favorite game of all time or if I think it just DESERVES to be here because it brought me to all of you fuckers. CS showed me what video game addiction is all about... seriously.... I have friends on my msn that have had for 10 years that I have never met that I would concider some of my best friends due to this game. Is it the game I like... or the online multiplayer, love you all, shit that I like? I can't decide. Well there are other games out there with online multiplayer but none have caught me like this one. So this gets number 2 on my list.

1. Gran Turismo

For a guy who loves cars and loves to race... this is the game. Drive any car on all real world tracks what more could you want? I couldn't even tell you the amount of hours I have poured into this series getting Gold in all the license tests. Replay value for me is 2nd to none and battling against a friend is awesome too.

Berz out.

Rating my top 10 games list is pretty hard. I can definatly tell you that these games had more impact on me than others.

halo CE

goldeneye

counter-strike

donkey kong country

simcity 2000

Secret of Mana ftw! That game was the shit.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Counter-Strike

Street Fighter II: Champions Edition

Goldeneye

Grand Theft Auto III

Super Mario: Galaxies

World Of Warcraft

SimCity

Call of Duty

Age of Empires

Time for my Fantasy Mix in no particular Order unless designated:

Metal Gear Solid:

I haven't got my hands on 4 yet.. but I can say without a doubt this series is only still a series because of this game right here.

Goldeneye (YES! a 3rd Nomination):

This game was the shit for anyone who wanted to do some multiplayer action on a console. One of the first with the capabilities and one of the first that did it 'right'.

Excitebike:

I shit you not.. this is one of the first games I remember that you couldn't pull me away from.. couple that with being one of the first games that I ever remember you being able to build your own levels.. and this is why it definitely makes my Top 10.

Zelda:

Somewhere.. in some time zone.. there's a Zelda of some oddness that everyone loves. I didn't want to narrow it down entirely to one game because I actually haven't played all of them (wind waker being the most prominent).. But, starting with the very first game.. beating it.. getting the sword Icon next to your name and having the levels change up randomly was Effing brilliant.. Having to hit Reset while you powered it off to save the games.. = FT-Fucking-L because I erased my brother's game that way. I suppose if I had to narrow it, though.. It would have to be Ocarina of Time. One of the best settings of the series thus far.. being able to go between young and adult link.. especially the fact that when you got to play as adult link.. even though nothing 'really' changed.. you just -felt- more powerful.. more 'adult' because of the way they actually drew him up to be a bit more fierce looking than a walking ewok with a green hat.

Baldur's Gate:

1, 2... whichever.. both were damn near perfect iterations of Dungeons and Dragons.. especially if you could play multiplayer on them (which very few could because of network problems). Both these games offered -days- worth of Dialogue and options throughout playing.. I think Baldur's Gate 2 was actually one of the few 60+ Hour games on the first run through.. stretching upward to double or triple that if you wanted to do 'everything'. This game definitely goes in the books.

Grand Theft Auto 3:

Yes, I'm being specific.. Why? Because I'm tired of all the pansy fuckers who come out and say that Vice City was so much better. Rockstar didn't make money with Vice City because of Vice City.. they made money because of the Sound Track alone.. and that's what pisses me off.. because GTA3 already did anything and everything in Vice City could do.. they just didn't have the $$ at the time to get a full blown sound track.. Now, couple Vice City with the artificial let me blind you every fucking 30 minutes with our exaggerated sunrise/sunset bullshit and you have one annoyed game player. You hit the sun just right and you can't even see 5 feet down the road.. how do you like trying to play 'get away from the cops' crashing into everything and having to drive 10 mph because you're effing blinded. Now, I know this was an angry rant but GTA3 was the milestone Rockstar needed.. this was the first game they brought down to earth on the player level.. and really explored the 3D aspect of the game.. and throughout the whole game.. it still felt really solid.. and it wasn't until the last good portion of missions that you even really felt it was repetitive at all.. it was fluid and felt good.

How many is that.. 6?.. WTF.. 6? God damn it.. I'm going to have to think about the rest later.. Night, Fellas.

Ok, in nor particular order...

Starcraft

Never before have I been so incredibly captivated by a videogame story. I'll liken it to the novel Ender's Game in that I literally had problems turning away from playing just one more level. The story is one of the biggest aspects I'm looking forward to in SC2

Half-Life

I think that this may have been the first FPS that left a significant impression on me. It felt epic, and the atmosphere was amazing. I'll also throw a shout out to Deus Ex and Star Wars Dark Forces for being solid early FPS influences.

Commander Keen 6 - Aliens Ate My Babysitter!

I can't say I had a NES/SNES until a little bit later on in life. So instead of Mario filling the platform adventure void, it was Commander Keen. I remember chugging away at this game for hours on end. Pogo Stick & Stun Gun ftw.

Need for Speed Underground 2

Ok, I'm not a hardcore racing fan. I've played probably all of the Need for Speed titles since Hot Persuit 2 (plus a few from before that), and my favourite two were Underground 2 and Most Wanted. I liked the variety and tracks of Underground 2 a bit more than Most Wanted, but the latter had great police elements. It's a shame there isn't quite a hybrid between the two.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

This was my first Zelda, and I really dug the expansive world and dark atmosphere. There was so much to see and do. Twilight Princess was a great follow up.

Super Smash Bros

Just like Ocarina of Time, I put many many miles on my N64. I really dug the original Smash Bros - me and my brother actually set out to beat ever foe at every difficulty level on each level. And scarily enough - we got almost 2/3 of the way through the system we setup.

Space Station Silicon Valley

Last N64 title, I swear. What can I say about this one... I never actually owned it, but I borrowed it from a friend for a long while. This game was genius - great humour and puzzles, addicting music, and an expansive variety of characters to play. I will soil myself if by some miracle it as a retro release on PC or Wii Virtual Console.

Battlefield 1942

I remember the first time I played this game - it was the Wake Island demo at a LAN party we were holding in our house. I was blown away by the scope of the game, and how many ways there were to get from point A to B. I'll also admit to being a fan of the WWII genre - and I secretly hope that the next secret Battlefield game will be back in this genre. Battleships, aircraft carriers, bombers, tanks, artillery, and all.

Call of Duty 4

I'm sure all y'alls know I'm a pretty rabid Valve fanboy. If every there was a game to make me doubt that loyalty, it was this one. Like above, I really dig WWII games. I got a lot of enjoyment out of CoD 1 and 2 singleplayer campaigns, and I wasn't really that intrigued when I found out the new one would be modern. But WOW was I blown away by it all. The single player blew me away - I played it through three times in the space of just as many months. I also got to level 55 twice in the multiplayer, which wasn't too bad either.

Portal

Ok, maybe it was the unique gameplay mechanics, maybe it was the hilarious narrative, and maybe it was the dark/menacing foreshadowing, but I really enjoyed this one. I figured out would be a bit of a gimmicky puzzle game that would get stale really fast, but I was very wrong. It's not often I get a blown away, "WHOA!" moment in video games - but I'll forever remember holding my breach and letting it out as I did my first double/slighshot jump. Yes, of course I'd like more, but I don't have any complaints about how short it was. Also, the credits rocked.

Annnd, that's about it. Some quick shout-outs to Mario 64, NHL 95, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Mario Kart 64, Tony Hawk 64, Star Wars Tie Fighter, Team Fortress 2, Homeworld 2, Command & Conquer, and I could just keep going and going... Damn video games is a kick-ass hobby.

-Cril

PS- I agree with Indem. Aside from a few basic features (like being able to ditch from a car or ride motorbikes) GTAIII was by far my favourite in the series. I hope GTA4 comes to PC this fall, I can't wait to pick it up and give it a go.

Hmm well I haven't played GTA4 yet or MGS4 so I think those 2 would have made this but for now it's these..

10. Halo 3 - Multiplayer is a lot of fun and 4 player single player was great.

9. Mario 64 - Hours of fun back in the day.. Best memories are with the 64.

8. Metal Gear Solids - All the ones I've played have been great, I'm sure MGS4 will be too.

7. Diddy Kong Racing - Hours of fun back in the day

6. Goldeneye 64 - Hours of fun back in the day

5. Mario Kart 64 - Hours of fun back in the day and still fun on the wii.

4. Ocarina of Time - I bought this for the wii again and started playing it before I was leaving and it's still great. I'm excited to get home and play it some more. The story's just so intriguing to me.

3. San Andreas - My fav GTA (haven't played 4 yet though) I liked the rest but I loooved San Andreas.

2. Counter-Strike / Counter-Strike Source - I love them both and if I actually had a good desktop computer I would definitely play source more. Best times though were 1.6 FNF days.

1. Super Smash Bros. Melee - Never have my friends and I, or myself alone played a game so much, I think this is better than brawl but I only had about a week with brawl before I had to leave so I will see once I play that some more.