Friday Night Firefight Forums

Laying down your burdens.

etru_scan

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a ) I'm *totally* there for hoodies. I'm willing to do any graphic-type stuff that might be needed.

B ) I'll also pledge my support for the new website. Let me know if there's any graphicing I can do for the cause and I'll give it a shot.

-Cril

I know I don't know any of you that well (except vader...) but by what nova said I can tell the kind of server you guys used to have (I'm pretty sure you dont have one anymore...) is the kind my clan has. I'm in vd | Virtual Domination, I'm sure you know or have seen some of the members around a bit. But we just got a new cs pub a month or so ago and it's actually doing pretty good (in the evenings).

What I'm getting to with this is if you guys DO the game night, and you choose cs 1.6, we'd love to have you come to our pub.

Nova said something about alltalk on, yes we have that, and about no swearing, well, we allow it to a certain extent, if someone decides to go nuts swearing we won't tolerate that.. But I'd love to get to know you guys better.

Anyways, if you want to come to our server the IP is 74.222.0.11:27019

thanks for the, uh, plug... hendrix.. : P

Back to the matter at hand, I have some more stuff for you guys to chew on.

I figured detailing the ' issues ' would be worthwhile, so you guys can better decide what makes the most sense when you see every option on the table.

Previously, i mentioned three options :

Do nothing,

Do a little housecleaning,

Switch the site entirely.

Now, i wanted to touch on some pros and cons.. Option #1 isn't much of a conversation piece, since its whats been going on here for well over a year. Its easy, familliar, and comfortable. Like a deluxe coffin would be, i'd imagine.

Option #2 involves some minor work, barely worth mentioning. And when i say 'de-csize' i dont mean changing the look per se, just (finally) taking stuff down like the CAL link and all that caropy. Stuff i really should do anyways, tbh. Once things seem to be rolling in the right direction ill either do that as a matter of course, or just not add certain things into the third option..

Right. So.. Option #3. If i could just charge into this, i probably already would have. It seems like the right way to go, and here's why, to reiterate what im thinking and to further clear up what that option means to me:

I want anyone who wants to add the bits of their life the rest of us might find interesting to be able to do that, easily. I want these submissions to have their own threads/comment sections, and i want it all to be handled in a way simmilar to how forum access is set up - Some people can contribute, some can edit, some can be admins.

If this sounds familliar, it's because thats originally how i wanted fridaynightfirefight.com to be run. In retrospect i should have really pushed for that, but i didnt, so. whatever. Point is, if everyone who wants to has the ability to add things, and to watch out over whats being posted, we can start to build up a nice little interesting place where not only cs nerds would want to surf. In the little time we were ( read; mainly frank ) actively posting news on fridaynightfirefight.com we actually built up quite a lot of good stuff, and quiickly. I think you'd be suprised how fast, even with a few people, a good fat load of content can be built up.

And that said, with varrying levels of contributor access in place, people that are interested can act as moderators, shunting content into the right sections or editing content or censoring or whatever they see fit.

Annnyways, thats the why, mainly. Christie mentioned to me recently that i'd used the phrase ' recruiting ' in my first post, in regards to generating interest from outside people, and that she didn't really think it made any sense to 'recruit' people we didnt know well, and would probably just end up babysitting or banning.

Well, i probably shouldn't have used such a loaded word, and i wanted to address that - When i say/reffer to 'recruiting' , i just mean attracting traffic/visitors. I dont mean adding people to the clan. There is no clan anymore, recruiting is not an option. Its just a word from the dictionary now, afaic.

Now on THAT note.. there are some issues around the ' how ' part of the equation.

Here are some things to ponder:

I own fnfclan.com AND fridaynightfirefight.com(hereafter reffered to as 'fnf.com' for ease of typing ) and pay hosting on both. I have an urge, for this 'new identity' to make the most ammount of sense, to switch to using fnf.com, and 'retire' fnfclan.com.

I know 'closing' fnfclan.com ( i'd still own the domain name, i just wouldn't pay for hosting anymore ) would feel like a bit of a.. final step.. But it sticks in my head as the right thing to do. I reaaaally dont want to be paying even the small ammount of monies to host content here AND on fnf.com, so i want to come to some sort of consensus.

I know that we could still have visitors to fnfclan.com bounced to another url such as fnf.com with minimal expense, if any, so then we'd catch anyone who hasn't been to the site in ages and avoid them hitting the unused site and think that fnf is gone. I know we're talking about very, very few people, but if you guys think thats important enough, im willing to look into it and even spend the few bucks a year to host essentially one webpage that either redirects or says ' we've moved ! '...

Sooo. I think my rationale for wanting to use the url fridaynightfirefight is pretty clear, but it presents some serious challenges.

The #1 main challenge is that im really, really unsure as to whether the forums would survive. I just dont know. It SHOULD be possible to export the forums from one SQL database to a new one and retain everything , but there's every chance we'll have to admit defeat and start anew.

Im not really comfy with that, tbh. I know it would most certainly break the prior forums ( which are pretty much fucked, but you can still read ) and so in one fell swoop we'd be potentially losing all the forum history we've built up over the past 4-5 years or so. This would be a crying shame, and enough to make me rethink the whole thing, at least from where im standing right now. Its certainly the part that makes Option #1 the most attractive.

HOWEVER... If you all think it's worth the risk, or even the loss.. and if you guys commit to getting the basis of a new site goign in new, simmilar forums... i could bear that. I could make the forums available SOMEhow, at least, so not all would be 'lost'.. just not easily perused ( and im talking like, they posts might only survive as text files ).. Soo.. yeah.. kindof scary. All i know is that the forums have essentially no hope of making it to a new host without someone's help who knows SQL really well.. and that aint me.

The rest of the site's content.. the files/documents, the gallery/photos, etc etc will all be OK. Thats really no problem, and the least of my worries.

So.. Take some time to chew on that, and reply with your opinions. To recap :

Move to a new URL ? fridaynightfirefight.com is the one we'd go to.

Risk losing forums ? At worst, we'd start fresh with new ones, at best we'd be down a couple days.

Change identity to a user/content based site ? Forums would still be the mainstay, but a robust commenting system, individual features like blogs/gallery integration and things like custom admin/editor access would be the main draws for changing what FNF 'is', while retaining our heritage but opening the potential to attracting visitors/contributors that share our hobbies *going forward*, not just the ones in our past.

Ok, thats plenty for now. Please give your opinions, criticisms, pros, cons, whatever. Dont hold your opinion back just because you dont think you have the right to say, or that nobody wants to hear it, or because it doesnt feel worth it. I've spoken to some of you and heard your reasons for not posting, but if there's ever been a time to make yourself heard, this is it.

Thanks guys, and good luck/congrats on getting through all that ^^^^

http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png

I'm still on board with Option 3. I agree that we'd need some kind of comment system for news posts, and I'd still like to keep our existing forums up and running. It -would- be a shame to lose everything we have here. I guess I don't quite understand this 'SQL' mumbo-jumbo, so I'll just say that if possible, I'd like to see our current boards archived a la old, old boards. But I'm willing to start completely afresh with FNF 2.0. Although, I'd almost rather see FNFClan.com as our main URL. Fridaynightfirefight.com can be such a bugger to type in some days...

-Cril

PS - I will be mighty pissed if we switch over to new boards and nuke these ones before I finally overtake Smrf's post-count. The dude hasn't been around these parts in more than a year and he still has 300 more posts than I do...

A bit late but I'm all for #2 or #3. You're paying for two hosts, Steve? you're nuts! the site doesn't have enough content / traffic to need two hosts. fnfclan.com can easily be run off the same host as fnf.com. Although, you could just have *one* site and make fnfclan.com forward to fnf.com.

Well im still for option 3 and dont mind option 2. I agree with tekmo about the urls and when it comes to the forums i agree with crilix. As i said im willing to offer assistance and im sure alot more are too. Im sure, like we always do, we will pull through!

Terry, i can so totally arrange that. I think.

And im thinking i agree very much with you, Rob. Bouncing all fnfclan.com requests to fnf.com would make the transition seamless for anyone hitting the old url, and then i would only have to pay for one host, which is sooooo the win.

Ok. i have a plan now. Now all you guys have to do is wait patiently for about 8 months till i get around to implementing it.

JOKING ! ( sorta. ).. lolol..

lol not that i have a say... but im thinkin option #3...

hendrix.. u know a lot of people from fnf... Q,me,vader,mumbler.. there is more that i play with still but i dunno if u know them... lol

and yes i still check these forums sometimes http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png