Friday Night Firefight Forums

Guess What I Found!

RailJr

The only thing I don't like about the movies is all the changes they made from the books http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

But seriously, the setting of the books is not important, And although they defined the fantasy genre, the genre does not define them. Every other fantasy book has been a cheap imitation of the lord of the rings, because they just use the pattern laid out by tolkien, but they disregard the substance that caused so many people to connect with the lord of the rings. The lord of the rings are misclassified and should not be grouped with fantasy books, unless you would consider the Odyssey, Beowulf, and (dare I say it) the Bible to also be "fantasy."

Professor Tolkien wrote the Lord of the Rings because he deemed that the english lacked a mythology of their own. Let me correct myself, the Silmarillion was written as a mythology, the Lord of the Rings is a saga that fits into that framework. As a professor of Anglo-Saxon and the Chair of English Language and Literature Tolkien had a love for language that allowed him to illustrate all people in his stories by giving each race it's own language which was based on their culture, which was based on their world. The Language of the Rohirrim rolls like the grassy plains that they inhabit, the language of the elves flows as if it is the very language of nature, the language of the hobbits (rather the vernacular, since they speak english)is simple, round, and pleasant, like the English countryside they (and tolkien) inhabit. The language of the Dwarves is hard and cold, like the caves they inhabit, the language of the Orcs and fell beasts is harsh and blunt, reflecting their brutal life.

He draws onhis simple life in the english countryside, as well ashis experience in the trenches of the Great War, which claimed the lives of most of his friends, to provide a narrative that delivers the emotions that strike a deep chord within us all, the joy and the sorrow, the anger and frustration, and the ecstasy of serendipitous deliverance.

So, if you haven't read them, you better get on it.

The thing about LOTR trillogy is that everything was created including whole new languages and everything that Tolkien put into the books, its not heard of really anymore... then you have Rowling who basically copied a lot of the stuff tolkien did in the LOTR books and she made a story about some nobody kid who has magical powers. freaking copy cat bastard! ugh... ok sorry, she gets off at getting mad that someone copied her books to an extent and does the Tolkien family go after her? I mean huge spider in the LOTR and huge spider in Harry Potter, you have Golum in LOTR and some guy that is a lot like Golum in Harry Potter, its just amazing how many similarities there are... I'm done ranting and raving.... ugh... and yes, LOTR - return of the king is going to be amazing! I also don't like that there were some major changes done from the books but I still believe that jackson did an incredible job. and you're right, it isn't a "past" issue, its actually a whole new world ... but quite amazing to think of...

Dude, that clip looks so amazing. I've held off on reading the books so I don't ruin anything for myself. Have they made any HUGE changes? Don't tell me what they are, just a yes or no answer.

I've actually heard from people that they changes that they've made seem like they were made so they could fit the story into 3 movies because the books are so vast.

Yes, vader, there were many omissions, which is understandable, because even just 3 hours is long for a movie. However, there are changes that they made which could not have been for time issues, which I believed changed the story or the characters therein in a significant, albeit minor way.

i didnt like how they made faramir all evil in the 2nd movie.

yes, the faramir change was one that I was refraining from mentioning http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

Don't tell me what they are, just a yes or no answer.

curious as to how movies that are so critically acclaimed can suck. they are insanely well done movies...maybe they just dont turn your crank....but thats comming from a guy who liked terminator 3.... hahahah