Friday Night Firefight Forums

Crilix's Painting Thread

Crilix

Cril, don't beat yourself up over what you used to get the effect that you wanted as long as you got it. You think artists don't measure or use the bottom of cups (that would be me) to get perfect circles on things? Or even compasses or french curves? They are tools. You are the maker. In the end, you are the one that makes it come alive. I know this might sound stupid, considering that there's plenty of other stuff in the painting that's good, but my favorite thing in that painting is that upper left corner of fabric in the middle of his chest that ends in a tight lil triangle and the shadow under it. That looks SO real. You might want to go back and throw a gray highlight into the black line of the glasses just to make it look like light is coming off it a lil. Not too bright of a gray though, since most of the other colors are darker, except for the yellows.

How about another rose in that desert over his shoulder?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How about another rose in that desert over his shoulder?

Haha, I could too. Roses could become my tademark or something http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

Anyways, I'm looking to get some of my paintings printed in true size. The problem is that most places only print stuff to 4"x6", cropping or enlarging the image to fit. Ick. Does anyone know of a place where I can get them done properly? I've heard maybe SuperStore might do it, but I'll have to see.

Comming up is the anuual Agassiz 'Corn Festival' (I live in the corn capital of BC... Oh joy.), and as such they have a whole bunch of contests ranging from best produce to artwork. These usually have tons of entries despite being a small town, with contestants even from Vancouver. I kind of want to see how I stack up against other artists, but I looked through the differant categories, and there's nothing for computer graphics. My other option is to enter it as a painting, but... What I make aren't exactly paintings, and after seeing last years entries... I would be screwed. They have a little thing called 'Detail' in their paintings, mine look so much less realistic. If I really wanted to enter I could print a few of my best works in uber quality with my printer, but... I dunno, I'm fairly sure I won't do that well anyways.

-Cril

Try anyway. What's the worst that can happen? You don't get the big corn prize?

And dude, forget detail. You just paint. If you think it needs to be detailed, fine, if you get inspired to detail it, fine, if you want to just make simple paintings, do it.

You have the advantage of being able to do it digitally and saying, save as painting1simple, and painting1detailed.

• 4 weeks later...

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Crilix/Paintings/Hit%20the%20Floor.1.Final%20-%20September%2026%202004.jpg

Did this one today... It probably took me less than an hour to do. For that it's alright, I guess. The blood is weak, and the bullet holes are bland. The M4 isn't amazingly detailed or anything, but I'm satisfied that I didn't have to use any line tools or whatever. Not one of my better ones, but it'd definitly one of my quicker ones.

-Cril

• 1 month later...

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Crilix/Paintings/Rememberance%20-%20November%207%202004.jpg

Inspired by the upcoming Rememberance Day (Veteran's Day for you yankees). It was pretty quick, probably less than an hour to do it without reference. It's kind of boring, but I like the concept. If I knew how to put differant kinds of debris and vegetation in I would. I was fond of the idea, so I felt like I should put it on "canvas".

I think I figured out the problem with my last one, it was too 2D and flat. Either the Colt should've been turned a bit to make it 3D or I should've blurred the background or foreground to make a degree of aspect. Hmph, something to keep in mind for the next one.

-Cril

Maybe if you put more detail on the wall with the colt. I kinda like that one better. Maybe a poster. Something from ww2. maybe the top of a soldier's helmet there, with a playing card, like, he's keeping low. Smoke from a cigarette. I don't think it's bad at all. I love that colt. Kinda Frank Millerish in its squariness.

• 1 month later...

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Crilix/Paintings/Gordon.Final%20-%20December%2012%202004.jpg

Well, my brother asked me to draw him, so I did. It's not that great, he looks kind of squished, but... This is the first semi-realistic face I've ever done and it took me ~1hr. Also, I used a physical picture as a reference, not an on-screen image. In those respects it's okay, but it's still nothing great.

-Cril

Thanks for the compliments guys. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png Yeah, I have a poster of Gordon on my wall, and I went off of that. It's scary, 'cuz when I started off and his hair was darker, he looked like you Frank. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

-Cril

Not the first time I've heard that, actually. There was this gaming magazine one of my doctors let me have from when HL2 news was coming out and gordon's on the cover and everyone in the office was like oh shit, it's you. So I killed the goatee.