Friday Night Firefight Forums

Uber Upgrade!

Crilix

After playing CoD at 800x600 with no AA/AF, I realized that I need to upgrade. Furthermore, I realized I have the funds with which to do it. So, this is what I'm looking at getting:

Mobo & Vid Card: EVGA 7800GT PCI-E 256MB Video Card & NFORCE4 S939 SLI DDR Motherboard Bundle - $450 (Link)

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor S939 Manchester 2Ghz 512KBX2 90NM Retail Box - $390 (Link)

RAM: OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual Channel Memory Kit /W Ramsink - $265 (Link)

Hard Drive: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 9MS NCQ Quiet RoHS Hard Drive 3 Year MFR Warranty - $120 (Link)

Power Supply: Fortron FSP/SPI AX500-A 500W ATX12V 2.0 24PIN Blue Storm Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan Retail - $100 (Link)

I'd like to get your opinions on this soon, a sale ends by the 17th that'll save me a big amount of money.

-Cril

*Edit* Once I've upgraded, I'll have a Radeon 9800 Pro w/ AGP Cooler that needs a home. I'll porbably be selling it in the $150-170 range if anyone is interested. It might possibly come with a Steam Bronze coupon to sweeten the deal.

hey man !

That looks pretty fuckin hawt. Good call on the ram, definately. Personalyl i would pay extra and substitute the drive for a seagate. They're faster, quieter, same capacity have ncq AND have a 5 year warrantee.

The rest of it looks good tho man. you'll be screaming with that rig !!!

Thanks for the input all.

I looked at Seagate HDs, but they seem significantly more expensive. For one that matches Maxtors size, cache, and retreive time it costs about $70 more. I've had Maxtors in the past, and I think I should be fine. I'll also be running my current drive as a backup, so worrying about an HD failure won't be necessary.

Good call on that processor Blue. I looked it up at NCIX and realized that when you log in the price drops to about the same price, PLUS a free Steam Bronze account and Nero 7.

I've read some reviews and everything looks good - I'm probably going to submit the order tomorrow. w00t!

-Cril

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, comming from a not-so-HD-savy guy:

Curently I have Hard-Drive A as my sole physical drive, and it's separated into four partitions. Ultimately, I want my new HD ( Drive B ) to be a partitioned master with the OS, while A is reverted to a backup.

The question is, what's the best way to get data from A to B? Will it work just fine to plug in B as master and A as slave, partition and install OS to B, and transfer? I'm wondering if there will be a conflict with A already having the OS when B is connected and if there could also be a problem switching A from Single Master to Slave. Once I have everything installed on B I plan on completely formatting A anyways. Or, is the only option to backup all my data elsewhere (External HD, network, etc) and nuke both drives in one go?

HELP! http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_ohmy.png

-Cril

ah, sooo. familiar dilema, you face ! not to worry, solution are are simple, and varied.

personally im down with the easiest & quickest option. hook up your new pc, with the new HD drive ('b') plugged in an rarin to go. Install windows on it. Setup your new computer till your happy !

after having prepped your data appropriately ( ie: decide what you want to bring over ) simply connect the old drive into an ide channel, restart, and voila - you should be able to see the drive. At that point, just drag your data over. once your data is safe, reformat your old, now secondary 'a' drive, and proceed to do with it as you wish. pa-tang !

http://www.techworld.com/storage/news/index.cfm?NewsID=5050

there's the hd story.

What I would do is this:

This will only work if on drive 1 you have your windows partition all by its lonesome.

Boot up with a bootable winxp disc and drive b as your master and drive a as your slave. If you have any sata drivers you need, remember to have them on a disk already, as well as network drivers, etc, cause your ass is screwed with 1 computer and no internet connex once you start this for real. When the xp install disc gets to the bit about installing, there's the section that lets you format drives. Here you can format the windows partition on your A drive so that windows is now gone from it, and then format all of your new drive B and then just choose that to install it on. You can resize the partitions later with partition magic or whatever pretty app you use.

Now heres what the marty would do:

First drag all wanted information/files/etc to a partition that is not your OS partition on your main machine.

Second format the OS partition

Third disconnect the HD from the computer and connect the new uber HD.

Fourth Install OS onto New Uber HD

Fifth Setup windows (updated drivers, windows updates, etc) and turn off machine

Sixth Reconnect old HD and boot up

Seventh Transfer files from OLD HD to new UBER HD

Eigth Format OLD HD, reset whatever partitions you wish to have, and then install games, transfer files back to OLD HD if need be, and finishing touches on your install.

The reason why I RECOMMEND you do it this way is because when you attach 2 hard drives with their own OS's installed onto them you will have to select WHICH OS you want to boot up with. I.E. Which HD you want to boot from. Theres some way to fix that once you have the PROPER OS on the PROPER HD but I never found it nor did I look SUPER hard for it. However to avoid having to select an OS, setup my way and your guaranteed to never have to worry about it.

Yes AFTER you format the old HD the option to select the OS that WAS installed on it, will still remain there so doing how i say avoids that problem. Thats really the only major problem you'll have by attempting to do what you want to do. Ive never had any problems other than hardware problems when messing around with drives.

If you do have that problem with having to select from 2 versions of xp on boot, right click my computer on the desktop, properties, advanced, startup. On there, you can choose at the top what the default operating system should be.

If you pick the wrong one, you can always change it to the other and even choose to make sure windows doesn't ask you anymore.

Well, I got the parts and got them into the case and hooked up. The problem is that Windows won't install. It'll get to the part to commit to a partition, and it'll just freeze up. I'm hoping it's a bad CD... I'll update you guys as I go (I'm using a work comp at the moment)

-Cril