Friday Night Firefight Forums

New comp

Colossus

Well my dream machine ended up being borked recently and I still havent put together quite enough money to buy a new one hence my sporadic time online. But all that must change. indeed it is changing. I recently went to NCIX.com to price out with their computer builder just what I wanted for my new beatiful machine. For those that can indeed help please offer suggestions where needed. But honestly im only truely interested if anyone can see any incompatible parts of my new system. Money isnt really an option as I have put away 4000 already and should have another 3 by the end of next month so im not really worried about swapping out parts because I could OC and get the same results out of something cheaper.

Here we go:

MoBo: EVGA Nforce 790I Ultra LGA775

Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Quad Core Processor 3.0 Ghz 1333mhz FSB

RAM (Debatable): Corsair XMS3 DHX TWIN 3x4096 4GB DDR3

Video Cards: 2x EVGA E-GeForce 9800GX2 675mhz 1gb 2.1ghz GDDR3

Tower: Thermaltake Xaser VI EATX

Power Supply: Corsair TX750W 750W

Cooling: Coolit Systems Freezone Elite MTEC CPU Liquid Cooler

Monitor: Samsung T220 HD 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor. 1680x1050 2ms

Operating System : Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition 64 bit

Hard Drives : 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB Sata2 7200RPM 32mb Cache

Blu-Ray Reader: LG GGC-H20L

DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-116 DBK

Mouse : Logitech G9 Laser Mouse 3200 DPI 1000Hz Weight Adjustable

Keyboard : Logitech G15

Netword Card: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N Desktop Adapter

Network Router: D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router

Sound Card : Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Sound Card

Speakers: Logitech Z5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers 500watts RMS

Headphones: Steelseries Siberia Headset HI-FI Headphones.

Current Price of this computer is 6582 so I am coming in under my budget http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png:D:D:D:D.. I figure its been nearly 10 months of gaming on very VERY poor systems that just aggrivate me more than give me enjoyment so I am going all out w00t w00t. I'll see you guys soon!!!!

To be honest, I just shake my head at these threads of yours. I think it's a waste of money. You seem to get a new system every year. I just don't see the point when the money could be put towards something else; It is your money so I'm totally not trying to tell you what to do with it, just saying I think it could be put towards other things.

Depending on your current system though if you just bought your parts last year you really only need to upgrade a couple things. Video card, mobo, cpu. Things like mouse, speakers, headphones, router, keyboard, monitor, power supply...etc unless you're really on some old school crappy hardware you do not need any of these.

At this point in time absolutely nothing will take advantage of two 9800's. It's just an asinine purchase. You're very much better off getting an ATI 4850, NCIX currently has them on for $170 or so and they're pretty much on par with the 8800 Ultras (note: 8800 Ultras in most cases prove to be more efficient than a 9800).

I think it's a bit silly to get a Blu-Ray drive as well. You cannot write, only read. I believe there's a better LG Blu-Ray drive on the market at the moment that will also read and burn DVD's, thus making the Pioneer drive on your list an expense you can withhold from.

Newer mobos offer onboard 5.1 Dolby. Unless you're an extreme auidophile you're better off sticking to onboard sound.

Personally, I tried Vista and would not recommend it at *all* for a gaming PC. Actually, I wouldn't recomment it for any set up, gaming or otherwise. If you're going with the 64 bit version because of the 4GB of RAM you should look into an XP alternative.

Also, unless you're like GunEd with the absoluthumogos collection of stuff, you don't need 2TB. If you currently don't even have 1TB worth of data, you wont need 2TB.

I'm not trying to rag on you by any means, Colo. I understand the "I have cash ooooo what can I buy now xD~~~" train of thought. I'm tempted every time NCIX has a sale. This just contributes to the "throw away" mindset of society now a days and it's totally harsh to see. What happened to replacing things only when they break down? http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png I've been using the same mouse for years and years (Logitech MX 500) and it's totally fine, I don't need to upgrade to a newer mouse yet, there's just no point. Anyways, hopefully some things I've suggested will help you cut back your expenses.

Woo! Shout-out to a fellow MX500 fan! Man, I put many, many miles on that thing. The only reason I replaced it was because I had ground-down the feet on it, and it wasn't traveling as well.

Regarding onboard audio, I found that getting a separate card made a huge difference. Mind you, my mobo is getting close to three years old, and so it's quite possible that newer mobo audio chips have significantly improved. All I know is that by getting a separate sound card (A cheap-o, OEM Sound Blaster Audigy) I immediately found that my mic was more responsive and clear, that I could get a much louder signal (seriously, I had my speakers turned up to 75% just to get a decent sound), and that there was less noise. Don't get me wrong though - I am by NO means an audiophile of any sorts. I just found (in my case, anyways) that even the most basic standalone sound card made a noticeable improvement over my onboard. I can't say if this is still the case with newer mobos.

About a month ago, my video card unexpectedly died. Games crashed after about 10 minutes of play, and while they were running I had strange texture and graphical artifacting. So, to replace them I got two 9600 GTs. I generally would have gone for a single card - I know that you generally don't get a whole lot of extra horsepower out of an SLI setup. But after looking at several benchmarks it was obvious that for the price of the cards (On sale for $100 each, NCIX rocks) it was the best bang for buck. To be honest... I'm not even using SLI mode right now. I think my current system has a bottleneck at my processor and RAM, which I got three years ago. Even so, I'm still getting very good performance out of a single 9600 - and with Nvidiea's new PhysX stuff, I can maybe dedicate the other card to physics processing. But that's a while down the line before it gets taken advantage of in games.

In the mean time though... Yes, my rig is starting to show some age. But, I spent $800 for mobo/CPU/PSU/vid card/RAM about three years ago, kept my peripherals, optical and hard drives and I'm still going strong. Aside from the vid card failure, my otherwise mid-end purchase has lasted me quite a while. And I'm going to ride it out until the next component dies. I can't get a replacement processor, and to get plain ol' DDR RAM is becoming stupid expensive because it's so old. Now maybe it'd be a different story if I had tons of cash like your Marty - perhaps I would have bought a completely new system a while ago. But because I'm frikkin' poor and trying to save for school, I'm trying to get the most use out of what I buy. And I gotta say... I've been quite surprised how far I've gotten.

But everyone has their own hobbies and priorities. And if you passion is gaming and building computers, who am I to stand in your way of building an oh-so-sexy rig? I'm a very jealous boy of your new rig Sir Colo - post some benchmarks and stats, it looks like it'll be one helluva beast.

-Cril

just a couple things that I noted.

7.1 surround sound card, with 5.1 speakers?

With all that stuff, I'd recommend more of a power supply. 1000W would do fine.

If I had the cash flow I would get it. You can play the waiting game all you want for cheaper items, but if you want top of the line right now, you gotta get top of the line right now. It just sucks when you see something drop 50% less than 1 year later because something new comes out. (Intel is coming out with new chips soon that are going to destroy whats out there now)

Personally, I wouldn't get the blue ray player. Unless you plan on hooking up your computer to your big screen TV, don't get it.

Good luck Marty, wish I had the cash to do that http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

I think it's a bit much, Colo. Especially the Blu Ray. And the sound card too. I don't know about you, but I always play my games on my headsets (because I have shitty hearing, not that the headsets help that at all) to hear things a lil better. I'm not saying DON'T get a sound card (I have one, too) but you don't have to go with anything insane.

I also do not recommend Vista, though it does let you use more ram.

Why are you getting a wireless card AND a regular nic? Do you NEED a wireless card? I find gaming on wireless to be a pain sometimes. Not ALWAYS, just sometimes. Also, most mobos come with onboard nic, some of them have 2 onboard nics. It's a waste of pci slots, dude.

I'll say this much: What game(s) do you WANT to play? What apps do you NEED to run?

Build your machine around that. Because you know how it is with computer stuff. In a month, they come out with new stuff and your shit is old already.

Ars Technica has some great guides for good machines. Here's the one for July. http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200807.ars/3 And this is the EXPENSIVE machine guide. There's also an in between guide and a budget guide.

quick reply to franks, i just skimmed the posts for now as im heading out the door, but im not two network cards, im getting a router and network card. im going to be on wireless just due to living arrangements and where the net is.. i guess i could drill holes in the roof of my room and run a wire down lawl but I think next time remax realty does their 3 month inspection they'd be a lil pissed with my doing that.

Thanks for the replies as per vista - I just want the new OS, eventually things will be fine with it and im willing to wait it out but I may just buy the OS for now and run with an XP as Tek suggests. I havent had a new machine in like 3 years every time I went to buy i had other more important things out there that I had to pay off/pay for/etc and my last machine has literally blown up..

I dont what happened but shit was fried or barely working so I strapped seal bombs (1/4 stick of dynamite) to the case and blew the fuck out of it in a drunken rage.. So like i said what little gaming I have done has been on friends computers with sub-par components. I go big or go home always and well I am finally going back to school this year so money is going to get strapped again so probably the last time im able to splurge on computer stuffs for a few years.

Thanks again for the replies I'll go over them with more depth later on. They all seem quite well thought out and come from people whose opinion i value when it comes to such inquiries so thanks!

oh yeah and bluray - I have a 62" Plasma Widescreen im hookin into for movie nights.

A sweet system, just wish i had the extra cash to throw away on a dream machine. Just last year i spent 600 bucks just upgrading my rig to a Core2 Quad 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM CORSAIR, GeForceFX 7950GX2, flat screen monitor, DVD burner, new keyboard, speakers, mouse, and a asus elite gamer mobo

• 1 year later...

My old computer just died. Took me a month to get my new computer, but here is what I got. I had to skimp in a lot of places to satisfy the wifey....

It works. Its not the latest, greatest, but it will definately do the job:

1 x AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Triple Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ 7.5MB Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box

1 x Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PWM Pro AM2 S754 S939 S940 900-2200RPM 40CFM 4PIN Heatsink Fan

1 x MSI 790GX-G65 ATX AM3 790GX DDR3 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SATA GBLAN Motherboard

1 x Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

1 x XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black Edition 765MHZ 1GB GDDR5 4.5GHZ 2XDVI HDMI Display Port PCI-E Video Card

1 x Cooler Master Haf 932 Full Tower Black EATX Case 6X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PSU USB eSATA 1394 Audio

1 x Seasonic SS-650HT 650W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM

1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

1 x Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM 3YR MFR Warranty

1 x Samsung SH-S223B/BEBE 22X DVD+-RW SATA DVD Writer Black OEM

I also just recently bought:

1 x http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/peripherals/...u2410&s=dfo

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this laptop. I got it for $699, comparable laptops of better brands are going for $200 bucks more. Im not sure about Acer, haven't heard much about them positive or negative, so i bought the 2 year instant product replacement for it.