Friday Night Firefight Forums

Christmas Computer

Blue

Well I finally got my wish, my fiance's been making me hold off getting a new computer for years now, and finally we have some spare cash and christmas is coming and I don't want anything else but a computer. I've been asked to put together a list of components I'd like and send them to herself, where she will go pick them up and then I can put it together.

I've put together below a system to start, but I'm wide open to suggestions as I know lots of people here on the forums have a better idea about this stuff then I do.

All products will be purchased from Memory Express. There are other stores in Edmonton that sell parts, but none with the service these guys have. All prices are taken from that site.

Specifically, I've always went with Athlon, and I'm leaning towards the quad core just because of the price. I've heard they run really hot and loud, and that the new Athlons are pretty slick. This is going to be a gaming only computer, so whatever works best for that.

Intel - Coreâ„¢2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.4GHz w/ 2x4MB Cache

ILC: 735858191562 SKU: MX15884

1 $299.95

As far as mobos go, I've always went cheap, cheapest mobo was the one I bought. Went on a different path, looked for one that will do it all, but won't break the bank. This was a pretty solid choice, but once again, mobo's aren't my fortey (sp?)

Edit: Apparently not so solid a choice, the 680i I had here is not very stable and has some problems that took some digging to find. New choice is the P35 board, much more stable and has more features then the 680i board.

This is the board I want, I'm just trying to see if I can find it in Edmonton somewhere. One interesting thing to note on this board, no parrallel port. Wonder when they are going to phase out the fdd connector as well.

$170 - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35

As the trend continues, memory at 2gigs is the minimum. Thinking of pushing to 4, but I think that might be an upgrade for the future as I will still be using XP for now. I've always went with Kingston, but there are some solid memory companys out there that are way better then Kingston.

CRUCIAL - BallistiX 2GB PC2-6400 Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB)

ILC: BL2KIT12864AA804 SKU: MX14500

1 $114.95

This is a done deal, not much to talk about here. Could have got the 1TB drive but I don't really need the room.

SEAGATE - 500GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache

ILC: ST3500630AS SKU: MX12927

1 $119.95

Once again, something I'm more familiar with. Nvidia is my lifes blood, so I won't turn my back on them now. Was looking at the GTX but the price difference doesn't make me happy.

eVGA - e-GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB SuperClocked PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out

ILC: 843368000493 SKU: MX16165

1 $299.95

Is it worth getting the Instant repair warranty. This is with Memory Express, really solid company in Edmonton and Calgary. I've never bought anything like that before, but might be worth it.

Sub Total $1,014.75

IPR Warranty $0.00

Shipping $ --.--

Total $1,014.75

If your wondering about all the EVGA choices on there, I've heard lots of good things about them. I'm partial to Gigabyte, but couldnt' find anything with Memory Express. I looked into prices from the US for this and ME is very comparable, even with a site like Newegg.

One last thing I need to decide on is a new keyboard. Current one is 5 years old, and in desperate need of retirement. Everything else I've been slowly upgrading. New dvd drive, sound card, case, psu, mouse, monitor has been bought already.

Critiques, slander, thumbs up w/e are welcome.

Blue

Coelacanth I think you mentioned that if I was doing something like this to let you know, can't remember though and I think the post got lost in the switch to the new site.

Guest etruscan

yo !

Those are really solid picks imo, all around - i have some experience with some if not most of those components, so ill give you my impressions one by each a little later on. Offhand though i'd say that machine is gonna smoke now and for a goooood long while. yew yew !

Damn - that's about the same amount I spent on my rig a few years back, and it ain't anywhere close to what you're getting... Looks like it'll be a great system. I'll back you up on EVGA - I'm using a mobo and vidcard by them, and I've never had any problems. How much is the instant repair warranty going to cost? I seem to remember EVGA having fairly good rreturn policies, but if you're closer to Memory Express it'll probably be faster going through them if something dies.

-Cril

I have the 650mb version of the evga card you're getting. If you get it soon, you can take advantage of their, "Here, have enemy territory quake wars free" offer. They are, however, EOL'ing the 320 card soon. I don't know if that's NVidia or EVGA, though. See story here: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/new...s-8800gts-320mb

Don't get 4 gb's of ram. XP can only address 3. Don't get Vista. Don't fall for it. Run away.

Are you getting a new case? Do you currently have a small case? That card is HUGE. I had to move a couple hd's out of the way...

GLHFMB.

@Cril-Instant repair warranty for that system is about $91 for two years. Might be worth it. Can't go any less time frame then that.

EDIT- Just found this piece of info. I've had trouble with bricks out of the box from them before, and I've seen them upgrade mobos to the next one up on the spot if they don't have one in stock.

If I don't purchase IPR does that mean Memory Express will not warranty my product?
No, Memory Express will always take care of our customers with our standard 1-year warranty. Within the first year of purchase Memory Express can handle warranty claims to the manufacturer for you, but cannot provide an in store product replacement without the purchase of an IPR plan.

@Etru- Looking forward to any insight you might have. One of my main concerns is if things are running really hot or loud. My current computer sounds like an airplain taking off when it starts up so I'll be looking into a nice quiet aftermarket heatsink and fan.

@Vader-Thanks for the heads up on the video card. Dunno what I'll do there, I'm planning on putting down at least $300 on the video card so if the price is right and another 8800 of some kind comes along I'll change over to that. I knew about the limitation on ram for xp, but one day I hope I can trust vista enough to switch over and start using it. Until then though, def won't upgrade the ram past 2gigs. Don't know if Crucial is the right ram though. Anyone ever used any thing else? I've got to do some reading up in the way of ram. There are so many varieties of 2gig combos that to my untrained eye, don't look all that much different, that I can't really say which is the better one to go with.

As for the case, this is the one I just got last valentines day last year. Should have lots of room, hopefully. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX2037(ME).aspx.

She also got me this PSU last year for my bday. http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX14190(ME).aspx. I'm hoping it can handle everything I'm going to throw at it. Don't know how much power that quad core will put out.

On the topic of the quad core, is it worth it at this time. Should I just go with the E6750 and not bother with the Q6600. I'll be primarly gaming on this machine, so not much in the way of multitasking per say. I know its kind of future proof, but is that really a reason to go with it if I'm not gonna be really using it to its full potential? Its just so hard to not look at it and want it, especially for that price. Been looking around at reviews for it. It seems to hold its own in almost everything.

Looks like I need to do some research on the mobo. I'm getting suggestions on a different mobo for this system. People are strongly suggesting the P35 instead of the 680i. I'm off to do some research on the why, but if anyone has some insight it would be much appreciated.

Why is that Tekmo? I thought that the 485 should be lots if I'm not planning on OC. If I ever wanted to go SLI then I'd pick up a different PSU, but as far as I can tell it should be fine.

Changed the Mobo to a P35 board. The 680i are apparently very unstable after visiting some other forums, and the P35 are very stable and have lots of the features I'm looking for.

Blue

• 6 months later...

Well after years of talking, I finally went out and got some new parts for my tired old machine. Had to keep the total price to no more then $1000, (not including the desk), total ended up coming to $1000.28. Can't say I'm 100% ok with the Mobo, wasn't my first choice, I will probably replace it sooner then later. Video card is really solid, good bang for the buck there. Hadn't considered the 8400, but its good so far. I haven't tried any benchmarks or anything, will have to try something out and see how it runs. Got the desk in the dark brown, looks really good in the new place.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX18883(ME).aspx (Monitor)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX19796(ME).aspx (CPU)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20073(ME).aspx (Video Card)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX17837(ME).aspx (RAM)

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX17414(ME).aspx (MOBO)

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79807561 (Desk, w/o the half round at the end)

Finally....ahhhhhhh

Blue