Friday Night Firefight Forums

I am legend.

Guest etruscan

Guest etruscan

Ok, has anyone seen this movie ? I think you can tell already how i feel about it... i saw a good quality DVD Screen and it was interesting at first.. kinda neat to see new york all CG'd up to look deserted.. and then the movie got underway. fuuuck. what a steaming turd.

I'd like to hear what people thought, if you wanna have alively discussion of why this movie sucked. It had suq on so many levels, i dont even know where to start.. other than to say 1, i am generally a will smith fan, 2, i love the subject matter, and 3 i thought the special effects were pretty good.

discuss!?

I thought it was pretty good for what it was. Obviously, it was a remake and also taken from a book.. but, it seemed to just stay that at it's core.. Wasn't too much elaboration or anything either from what I know.

It's fine with me that they put the whole 'godly' message in there. I kind of liked how the glass formed what it did. (No spoilers).. but.. what pisses me off.. is that he captures the one infected and the other comes outside right? Then he goes on cam to say that they've lost all "Human Emotion/Thought" But uhh.. doesn't the infected copy Will Smith? Doesn't he seem to care that (possibly his daughter) was captured? How can Will Smith's character possibly write that off.. and they -never- go back to it.. they just drop it cold turkey after giving that infected so much more than what he 'should have been capable of'.. Kind of puzzled me.

It was still a good show for me.. but there were some things they could have elaborated on and given the movie an extra 20 minutes to push it up to the 2 hour mark. I was pretty excited to see it.. but you're right.. not about being a steaming turd or 'suq'ing on so many levels.. but it was just lacking. It was still pretty intense in some scenes and kind of gets you thinking about any 'miracle vaccines' in the future. LOL

I didn't think it was too bad... Until the last third or so of the film. I think it did a great job of setting up the story and situation and atmosphere. I personally would've liked to see more of how it effected the entire globe, and how that all went down. But, come the last portion of the movie... It turned into a bit of a generic zombie flick. Yeah, I'll give it points for being *good* generic zombie action, but overall it seems like a bit of a letdown from the first part of the movie. You see, in the book (which I haven't read, just looked at a plot summary on Wikipedia) the zombies (which are actually vampires) *are* intelligent, but the main character doesn't know, so he kills them anyway. And it all turns into a vicious cycle where they fear each other and so forth.

I think they gave hints of this in the movie - The trap with the maniquen, for example. But they never really fleshed it out. Instead they focused on getting a cure, which is great I guess, but it isn't nearly as fascinating as playing out the whole intelligent zombie aspects. This part really let me down, I think it had SO much more potential, and then it took the generic zombie slayin' route at the end. It wasn't that bad, but it had the potential to be so much more. To me, what was the point of hinting at the infected still being intelligent ifthey never filled the rest of it out? It was a bit of a disappointment to me.

-Cril

Guest etruscan

See- this touches on another beef of mine with this movie. *EVERYON* that sees it seems to say pertty much the same thing - " It wasnt *too* bad.. I *kinda* liked it.. It was *alright* "... Thats indicative of some pretty major problems, imo !

I didn't know it was originally a book, and as a book i could see it being a decent one ( although i doubt it'd be any better than the stand, by SK ) but now that i know that, its obvious. There was *so* much shit they didn't flesh out, it was ridiculous, and it made it a much worse movie. The thing with the trap was a perfect example. They connect the act with the intelligence of the zombies by brute force, and it felt anything but satisfying.

I mean - fuck ! its a movie ! Wheres the clever writing ? Whats the goddamn craft ? It almost felt like a sequence of scenes i've already seen a hundred times, just strung together to form ' i am legend ' . And im sorry, but as much as i like will smith, he did not sell ' alone in the world and slowly going crazy ' . His performance was stilted and boring imo. Whats with the all the spontaneous shouting at the 'last' two people on earth ? What a dick !

I thought the parts he DID pull off well were the most intense ones - killing the dog, the very end w/ the nade, uh.. mabe there was one or two others.. but as a whole, it left me thinking he was trying to be tom hanks in castaway, but majorly failing.

I think i know what happened. I think they ate up their budget with the special effects, and couldnt afford to film the rest of the movie. it wasnt even an hour and a half long ffs ! Given the subject matter, this movie could have easily been 3 hours..

Anyways, im not sure why im ranting about a movie i hardly liked.. maybe cause it's gotten such hype, i feel the need to strike it down, in the hopes that others dont waste their money.

And on that tip - if you're thinking about it.. download it. There's dvd screen rips out there and lots of seeds, so no need to spend your cash just to be left ' sortof ' entertained.

But, that's just it, Steve.. you're ranting because you expected so much more.. which I think is why you dislike it so much more than when we say "Kinda" "Alright" and "too bad".

It -was- a good movie at it's core.. it was just lacking in a lot of areas.. which reminds me of a movie that's on the tip of my tongue and I can't think of it.. *Sigh* Regardless.. there are movies that are 'praised' in books of others and you watch it and you're like.. WTF?

Take Donnie Darko.. it's now in the "Cult Classic" of movies.. and no one can tell you wtf it was about.. explain that shit.

Guest etruscan

good points, u has dem.

but.. psychoanalysis aside.. i honestly think the main reason im ranting is cause it was just a shitty movie. (grin) Theres too many movies we call ' not bad ' which we should actually call ' shit ' - why do we call them not bad if they were only OK ? you SHOULD expect more. expect more, and eventually, you'll get more. thats how i see it working ( oops on the psychoanalysis aside part )

Now, donnie darko.. hasnt seen it.

its good ? or jsut 'not bad' ?

I havent seen I am Legend.

I figured this was a good time to hijack this thread to say that Shawshank Redemption is the best movie ever and whoever disagrees with me is dumb.

its true. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png

Well, since it's hijacked now..

Donnie Darko messes with your mind a bit.. You watch it.. then catch me on MSN and I'll try to tell you what I think is happening.

It's also a show that has to be watched about 3 times.. (learning things as you go). Kind of like Fight Club in a sense.

Guest etruscan

Deal - ill DL it, and let you know what i think. Its one of those movies ive been meaning to see since it came out, but never do..

Definitely let us know what you thought, Terry - im curious if seeing it on the big screen makes any difference.

Well, it was decent. I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, buts its not the greatest. Every one of the people in the group that I went with had sore stomachs from jumping and such, so it did that well. The ending is a little short. They definitely could have played out a lot more of the movie. Still though, I'd give it a 7/10. Maybe they will have a directors cut when the DVD comes out.

Guest etruscan

..sore stomachs ? eh??

re: Donnie Darko -

Saw it on saturday, as promised heres my impressions and take on wtf it was about: WOW !What a great, classic even, movie. Other than the lead actor taking some time to get used to ( i dont know why, i kept thinking he was someone else, and his little smirk was aggravating, but thats nothing. I also couldnt stop thinking he looked like coelacanth! ) but everyone in it was pretty damn good ( Plus, it had President of the Colonies Roswell in it ! she was HOT for an older lady! )

er.. yeah.. So, i thought it was excellent. What did i think was going on ? well, it was obviously a mind-fuck and almost impossible to figure out DURING the movie, but as soon as it was over i thought it was pretty obvious. The whole movie was explained in plain sight when Donnie was talking to his science teacher.. the time travel, the portals, all that. Pretty cool that they basically told you the explanation, but it didnt really spoil anything movie-wise. Excellent, excellent flick.

I feel the same way.. that it's thrown at you during that scene too.. but others can't seem to grasp that he died when the jet engine fell off.. but.. it entered a wormhole.. then exited at night when his mother returned home safely from the same flight..

Now, people will always argue it.. but that's how I see it. Time traveling Jet engine that killed him LOL.. I kind of think it's funny.. but it was a great show indeed.

"Why are you wearing that man suit?"

Donnie Darko = pwn. Great soundtrack, too. Creepy look at suburban "happy" people with a lil sci fi twist.

I am Legend was great except for how quickly they solved everything at the end. I understand the bit about him overreacting, but this is a man alone for 3 years. Waiting to snap, pretty much. He's irrational from the beginning with his claims of "this is ground zero, this is my site, I can stop this!" This is a man who loses his best friend. Who lives in a world where nothing moves. Then they fuck with Fred.

Could they have fleshed him out more? Yes. I don't even know what the guy likes to do for fun except look at fish in abandoned places. But I just liked the feel of the movie. The pacing.