Friday Night Firefight Forums

Movies you've seen recently

Guest etruscan

Guest etruscan

hehe..

Downloaded King of Kong and No country for old men.. looking forward to seeing those two.

Anyone know if " There will be blood " is on the tubes yet ? I couldnt seem to find it.. durr?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Second one did suck.. I loved the first.. I'm right there with you.. That show was frigging awesome.

Would you like to know more?

I just recently watched Spider-man 3.. I'm actually -really- glad people said it was crap.. and blah blah about it.. because I went in with the worst intentions.. and came out feeling like it was a lot better than I expected and it wasn't a bad movie.

I agree there were some parts (such as the dancing down the sidewalk) that I didn't get why he would be quite that way.. but on the whole.. I figured they threw it in there just as comic relief and for no real good reason. Other than that.. the ending wasn't too terrible.. I didn't like the Eddie Brock character -as- Venom.. (is that a spoiler? ahh who cares.. it's old).. He did a great job as the 'new guy'.. but when he became venom and all of a sudden his teeth are deformed and the face retracts.. I thought that was super cheesy..

On a whole though.. it still gets a 7/10 from me.

I think I may watch Rambo or 30 days of night if I can find them.

Guest etruscan

I have to check out 30 days of night, i keep seeing the name come up, but have been too lazy to IMDB it.. gah http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png

back OT:

No Country for Old Men : Holy.. man.. i wasnt sure how much i liked this movie. I mean, i thought it was great, yes. but it left such a weird taste in my mouth.. it wasnt your typical movie. Desipte that, i'd highly reccomend it. There are characters and situations you wont soon forget in this. Oh, and.. do you guys think you can really silence a shotgun like that ?

Eastern Promises : Just saw this last night.. and i have to say.. it was pretty damn good. For a cronenberg movie, it was incredibly straightforward... I was a little suprised to see it was directed by him.. although it has his style written all over it. Good movie, highly recommend. *edit* btw, was the main character the same dude from A history of violence ? ie: cronenbergs main dude.. i think.. ?

Yeah, Viggo Mortenson. He's a painter by trade but acts to keep money coming in, at least that's what I've heard him say in an interview a few years ago. How about that fight scene in the bath house? I know that he's into method acting and the whole, "for the sake of art" but I was a little shocked to see full nudity. And I'm willing to bet that he actually put that cigarette out on his tongue for real.

• 1 month later...
Guest etruscan

Yo ! hehe, actually, i retold the 'viggo is a painter by day' story to someone who apparently knew more about him than i did.. woops ! Saying he's a painter by day and actor by night is like saying leonardo davinci only worked with popsicle sticks. Check out his wiki, you'll see what i mean - The man is a fucking dynamo. And when you heard 'painter', it was in the context of fine art, not say, painting houses ( what i assumed! ) .. Yeah, that guy.. amazing.

Oi ! Here's another one.. seen a few in the last couple weeks since i posted much, but this one stood out, and it's for all you anime fans:

APPLESEED EX MACHINA.

If you digg japanimation/anime.. you HAS to see this. its fucking EH-MAZING. really. amazing. Jamie go tthe blue ray version ( same price as dvd ) and while my tv only displays 480 p, the art and style left me dumberfounded. Honestly, amazing remake of the appleseed story. see it. nao.

Guest etruscan

lol, s'awl good - i think i'd heard that from someone else too, so its probably something of an urban legend anyways. ie -my parents told me he grew up in argentina.. erm, well, wiki to the rescue again.. he didnt, exactly - he just went to school there for a good while.

anyways, yay Viggo !

VEE GOH VEE GOH VEE GOOOOOOO !

ALRIGHT.. CHOOO CHOOO.. pulling the train back on it's tracks.

This week My best friend shuffled some movies under my pillow to watch and give some feedback with him.. it works equally as well with you guys:

First, The assassination of Jesse James.. this movie was fucking phenomenal.. in my opinion it was definitely one of the best of 2007.. the portrait painted throughout the whole movie was really well done and actually gave a sense of immersion similar to "300" had with me.. where you could really feel what was going on.

Second, No country for old men.. Great movie.. and I agree with the weird taste.. (more discussion to follow)

Third, Knocked up.. I suppose it was thrown in for 'flavor' as opposed to being a 'really hyped up movie' like the others I'm going to be listing.. but I have to admit it was pretty good.. it gave me some good laughs.

Fourth, Zodiac.. Now, I had seen "THE Zodiac" so I already knew what Zodiac was going to be about.. and I must say that this movie nailed some good suspense with great fleshing of character.. It's no surprise that the actors in the movie are really good actors and I think this movie goes with that thinking.. it was a really good movie on the whole.. whether you know about Zodiac or not.

Fifth, Planet Terror.. Now, this.. (and this will cover discussion from above) I chose as my 'favorite movie' I watched.. to my friends dismay (he only believes his opinion is the right one).. was kind of 'put off' ... asking me "Why not No country for old men." The only thing I could say that was that for the entertainment value.. No Country didn't have what i wanted while watching a movie while alone. No country was a -great- movie.. a hell of a job done.. but it wasn't 'fun'.. some parts were pretty intense.. and others were a tad slow.. most of the questions were answered and it ended well.. (there wasn't anything hidden).. but when you see a movie like Planet Terror and you're kind of on the edge of your seat and laughing at the same time.. -that's- a movie..

So, is Planet Terror a 'better' movie? for quality or otherwise? No, I don't think so.. for entertainment purposes and 'showing to the masses' I think more people would enjoy planet terror over No Country. But for story.. directing.. acting.. I think No Country is -way- better.

Thoughts?

(and I might mention while I think the Assassination was better than -every- movie listed.. it was a couple of weeks before seeing the others so it's not listed into my 'entertainment' value..)

I've heard good things about the Jesse James flick and I'll be getting it in the mail in the next couple of days. I liked Planet Terror and Death Proof mainly because they are something different and kind of experimental in that they revisit an old movie style completely. It doesn't pay homage to that kind of film, they actually made that kind of film. Death Proof was the better of the two IMO but both deserve a see. Zodiac was good, not great but good. David Fincher is a good director and he did well with what he had. I haven't seen No Country yet but it will also be arriving soon. I saw Knocked Up in the theaters and enjoyed it. I liked Superbad and 40-year-old Virgin better but it wasn't a bad movie. The scene where the guy talks about shaving his pubes over the toilet, I don't want to give the punchline away but my wife was laughing so hard that the other people in the theater started laughing at her. It was rediculous.

Totally forgot about King of Kong.. now -that- was a good show..

and if you haven't seen it yet.. you need to.. it's superb.

and I'm just going to say.. one of the guys is a douche in the movie.. and one of his little 'henchmen' needs to be hung by his scrotum.

That show was great..

• 3 weeks later...
Street Kings - just got back and I had to write a little blurp about it. Definitely worth seeing, especially if you enjoyed Training Day. I'm going to pick this up on DVD the day it comes out. Great score, excellent camera work, cast was top-notch, screenplay is great. 4 outta 5 stars. I can't think of a reason to give it 5 stars but I can't think of a reason to give it anything less than 4 either. It's not The French Connection or Scarface but it was a very solid movie.

Guest etruscan

Innnnteresting.. Gotta check that one out.

Heres a few ive seen in the last while:

Jumper: Christian Haydensen ruined this movie.

Rambo : Cant member if i reviewed this one yet.. But anyways, it was stupidly fun. Spoiler: Rambo takes some dudes up a river, then comes back. Then he goes back up the river to get them, but only brings back the girl and the douche you hope dies, but never does. Special effects were incredibly gory.

Southland Tales : Liked it. Cool movie. nuff said.

Harsh Times : Christian Bale is pretty... crazy.. in this movie. Im not so sure about the 'homies' angle, seemed kinda forced.. but it was a pretty good flick imo. and harsh. oh yeah.. HARSH.

National Treaure 2: Potentially a cool movie, but COMPLETELY ruined by the fucking INCREDIBLE ammount of cheese and just plain stupid shit included in the movie. Seriously. It was borderline insulting.