Friday Night Firefight Forums

FNF Clan is dead, long live FNF Clan

etru_scan

Greetings, my niggas !

The day has finally come - unbelievable, yes ? Jamie and I havefinally completed exporting, upgrading, consolidating, migrating, hacking and editing the two sites into one. Our beloved FNFClan.com has ceased to be a singular entity and now exists only in the hearts and minds of its members, you all. It also exists as a few bytes of data in the registries of domainpeople.com, and is set up to point to this url now - so people that visit only once in a very great while will still be able to see that there are some of us left, just on a new domain. Its been a long trip, way WAY more complicated than i imagined it would be at first, but in the end way more satisfying than i expected. Its a relief to see in the end it all went fairly smooth, nobody died and nothing broke.

As for the new site ...

As you can see, its all very familiar. Yes, that was entirely on purpose. I wanted to go back to the look that started it all, the look i fell in love with that i was loathe to leave behind in the first place. Its 'back' , but in a sortof revamped way, and we'll make little changes going forward but on no particular schedule or plan. What you see here is the 'base' and what will likely define any future additions ( ie, we'll stick with this portal. well stick with these forums. stick with the gallery, etc ) Our new host offers a ton of 'community' features that are incredibly easy to jack in, so we might experiment with those, but only on a non-committal basis. if i put something on and people like it, great - well keep it - and if not, it's super easy to nuke back into oblivion. If anyones interested i can give a breakdown of whats 'likeliest' to be sampled.

Originally i was thinking we'd use Joomla as a front end, but bridging the gap between it and the IPB forums was looking to be impossible without considerable effort, so we scrapped that idea. We can bring most of that functionality to IPB if we need to anyways ( gallery, blogs, news sections, etc ) so im not regretting the decision. The portal has served us well for a long time, and im ok with using it in perpetuity. Its simple, but to the point. Its flexible, but provides a good framework for growth. nuff said.

As for the new IPB ...

The forums we are currently using are good ol' IPB forums, but the latest version (2.3.0). Youre going to see, amongst all the things you are used to, a buttload of new features. I know most of them are probably overkill, or ideal for an active, thriving clan more than our lot but they're there, and we can use them. Want to make a group for people that wanna play 1.6 ? Do it. Wanna make a BF2, L4D or WoW group ? Go for it. There's enhancements to the user CP, profiles and board that are well worth checking out - feel free to whenever you have time, and please ask any questions you like. Im still getting my head around them too, but im familiar enough i can explain any of them if you'd like.

As for the migrated fnfclan.com forums ...

Looking at them, i think they need to be cleaned up a little. I SHOULD have done this prior to going ' live ' , but we really wanted to do this switch ASAP - its already been far longer in the making than i wanted it to be. My main drive was to save those 30k odd posts for posterity, but they dont necessarily need to be 'public' - Ill tweak the user groups so that only yous who were in the clan have access to all those old forums. The entertainment and other like forums will be 'outside' that, ie: public still, and ill make a post if i change the layout / order considerably. But for now, just expect some tweaks in that department, mnkay.

As for the future ...

Well my niggas - what can i say. amongst my many god-like powers ( smoking weed, staying up late, procrastinating ) i have not yet mastered augury.. so.. What can i say. All i wanted was us to have a spanky new 'future proof' home that we dont have to worry about losing and that has a 99.999% uptime. One that isn't going to cost me much money, one i can extend easily, has lots of bandwidth, and basically not worry about. This is it.

Should activity pick up, great - we're perfectly positioned to clan up again from here if we wish. I have a great feeling in my gut ( no, its not last nights mexican ) about some of the games coming out, namely TF2, L4D, crysis, etc, that i can see us getting a little more active. Now that our house is in order and 'presentable' , i feel good about attracting new people, if thats what it takes. And if anyone else wants to do that ? Be my guest. This house is as much mine as it is yours, and as long as things adhere to the rough guidelines that brought us all together im only happy to see clan-like activity on these boards again.

I thought it would be a nice idea to create an open " FNF Blog " - where we could add things we find interesting on an ongoing basis for the sake of making the forums more interesting to visit and less like driving by a train wreck, scanning for survivors, etc. I like this idea, and ill get it off the ground. No promises, expectations or timelines tho, so.. if it happens, great. if not, great. : D

And last but not least, i have to give thanks. I have to give thanks to many people, but to each of you reading this, for sure. The fact that you're even here is amazing to me. The fact that once we made something so cohesive and strong that remnants persist 6 years later.. well.. what else do i have to say but.. thanks.

One person i have to thank in particular though, which i really cant thank enough, is Jamie. Tekmo here has done, basically, by my abilities, the impossible. Without his help, the forums would have never survived the transition. Without his skills the current forums wouldnt be nearly as functional as they are, and there would be a considerable adjusting phase that i know everyone would have just hated. He hacked, coded and swore his way through noodles and noodle of sql, php and 3rd party mods like a fucking champion - and all for the love of FNF Clan. My brothers keeper indeed, Jamie - You single handedly brought FNFClan's electronic ghost through the fire to live another day. You should be well proud of that, and those of you who value this even remotely should take a minute and thank the dude that resulted in 2007 being the year the best clan i've ever known got a new lease on life instead of an obituary.

So, in typical fashion, i start/end with a ten ton post for you all to skim through http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_biggrin.png I hope it's been informative, and that you all find peace with it. Please post your brains out and give your feedback freely. Its your place too, so im more than happy to act on your input.

Thanks for reading, guys - Im looking forward to this new phase !!

w00000t - lookin' hella sexy doods! Big thanks out to Steve and Jamie for doing such a slick job of the new site.

As for the future of the clan, that's really beyond me. I dunno where this great FNF thang will end up, but definitely count me in for the ride. It'd be nice if we could see a bit of team gaming with a few of the games you mentioned and then some (I've recently rediscovered CS:S and BF2) - I really do enjoy playing with you folks. But aside from that, I'm still quite fond of the FNF Blog idea. I think it'd be a blast for all of us to post whatever crap that catches our attention.

Again, mad props go out to Etru and Tek, and cheers to a slick new home for FNF!

-Cril

here here! I'd add another ten ton post, but I don't think we need it. I just want to say a huge "Thanks" to both Steve and Jamie. I love the new forums and the very first time I saw it, I was like, sweeeeet, just like the old forums! Home is where you make it, and this is a nice face lift for my internet home. http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png

My pleasure, you two. Go forth and spread the word - hopefully the DNS records will fully propagate soon and well be 100%. Poke around the forums for sure, cause im STILL finding neat new things this version has over the previous. Im still a bit in awe of how wicked IPB is !

Excellent job, well done the both of you. Lookin sexsi. I on the other hand believe the clan never faced death or being lost like most clans. It has matured into a brotherhood. A group of closely knit 'band' of brothers lol. Even though some may have left us, they are still marked part of the brotherhood, and like any brotherhood...we will have our initiates in due time. So i congratulate Stevo and Tek for a job well done and welcome the new look, one of the many signs that the firefight will never diminish. Relish the memories and grow strong from the bonds. The brotherhood is forever! Brothers we are!

BAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!! Finally found it, fnfclan.com wasn't redirecting, wasn't working, so decided to come look here and holy moly. Looks great!!

PEANUT BUTTER AND JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Guest etruscan

Sanks guuuuuuys : )

Yeah, i finally figured out wtf was going on, and the sites are now pointing to the same host, together forever like peanut butter and jaaaaaaaaammm ! ( to quote )

The nice thing is its sooo cheap for me this way. I pay one host bill ( cheap as dirt ) and then just he domain renewal every year, and thats it. All this joy for the price of a few dozen lattes !

So... Lets get to posting, fuckers. Im gonna look into that blog thing, but of course the irony is that our forums are exactly that - a blog ! its just better organized and more powerful : )

but yeah - to work !

If anyone hasn't seen season seven of Trailer Park boys I highly recommend it, if only to see them do that "BAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM!!!" bit, I have no claim to fame for thinking that up on my own.

And yes, my favourites work again now, woot!