Friday Night Firefight Forums

Crilix's Painting Thread

Crilix

Two new ones. Okay, well they're not so much 'new' as I just got around to posting them today.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Crilix/Paintings/Tulip%20-%20May%2016%202004.jpg

I've grown fond of the blue/grey backgrounds, they have a really nice effects as backdrops for flowers. I enjoy making flowers, they're pretty simple and usually turn out well. They also let you play with colours and staturation, which is a good way to expand on skills. This perticular pic is pretty simple and basic. I should've added some shadows to make it seem more... Real. Some of the colours go together pretty well, but they too could've been improved. (Referenced)

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/crilix/paintings/butterflies%20-%20may%2031%202004.jpg

The reference from this one came from the Cowboy Bebop movie, 'Knocking on Heaven's Door'. I liked the concept of these butterflies, how they seemed to be like energy or something. Anyhoo, I took a few frames of a butterfly flying around and put them all onto this painting as seperate insects. It could've been better, it's kind of lacking in detail. Even the one in the top-right doesn't look very much like a butterfly. All in all, both these pics kinda suck... Enjoy.

-Cril

*Edit* I'm having a hard time finding things to paint. If any of you guys have something relatively simply you'd like me to try MSN me (Renrut_sirhc@hotmail.com)

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can always try painting a photograph. That's what I used to do. Well, not painting, but pencil sketching, to get a better idea of how bodies are supposed to bend and act with other things.

And I remember those butterflies from the movie. When that poisonous chemical would hit people, they would see them. The painting looks cool, but it does lack something. I don't know what it is, though. And I think they ALL look like butterflies to me, dude. It's a visual trick. The first 2 look like butterflies, so your mind completes the 3rd one as a butterfly. It's hard to say what else should be there. I was thinking of the scene at the end, where they're up on that tower, but all those beams and struts and cables and stuff would just clutter the picture. A green hilly area would be too easy...

(shrugs)

• 2 weeks later...

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Crilix/Paintings/Rose2.Final%20-%20June%2019%202004.jpg

My only excuse for this one is that I haven't managed to paint in almost a month (Curse you, life!). Anyways, I really aught to move on from just flowers. Although I can now do them, they're becoming too simple and repetitive. Maybe I should started having them in a vase or something, so I can use shapes and such. (Referenced)

-Cril

Do you have any idea the limitless amount of ways you could draw flowers? There could be a gunfight going on in the background or a kid coming up to it or a flower on a corner cafe with people walking by, etc etc etc. You could go on forever if you wanted. How about a hand on the flower. That'll challenge you. Hands are hard to draw.

Yeah, I'm watching the Cowboy Bebop series again, and that's where I'm getting a bunch of my references. A flower added in the right place can make a really powerful scene. But to tell you the truth, I hadn't thought of actually painting one in a scene... Maybe I'll give it a shot. Thanks Vader http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png

-Cril

Dude, how about the flowers with the butterflies. In daylight. Daylight is hard. And a hand thrown in for good measure. And just to keep it fun, maybe a hand on a gun or a hand holding a cigarette.

• 4 weeks later...

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/Crilix/Paintings/Alone%20All%20Along%20-%20July%2015%202004.jpg

I've been working on this one on and off over the past 2 or 3 days. This morning I finally managed to finish it and make it presentable. In the reference I used, the buildings in the background had more detail, such as windows, ledges, etc. I couldn't get them to work right, but I found even with them not included the simplicity of the background worked. In the reference there we also more things in the foreground, but I didn't think they'd work well with my skill level. I like how everything is black but the pedals of the rose, that looks neat. And, as I made the widescreen section black, it added to the effect. The whole image is 1024x768, so a person could use this as a crappy background if they're using that desktop resolution. All in all, I think it turned out alright. It might be a bit too simple though... Hm. Hey, at least I took your advice Vader, I put it in a scene this time... Even if all the "scene" is are a bunch of blocks that might vaguely resemble buildings...

-Cril

Dude, that's very nice. The only thing I can think of is maybe trying to make that bit that looks like sky a lil more different from the buildings. The only problem that I can see with that is that it might take away from the flower. Right now, that flower is the focus of the picture.

Other than the sky comment and maybe putting some subtle detail into the buildings (windows) using some of the same grays you're already using, it looks awesome.

try the famous WinXP desktop wallpaer that comes with the os. You know the one of the hills that look like they're from teletubbies? or even the tropical beach one. It would be interesting to see those done as paintings.

I forgot to mention, I love that wide screen approach. It really does a lot to make the flowers stand out, because the pot is black and the frame is black, it makes them seem even larger.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/crilix/paintings/without%20you%20-%20july%2020%202004.jpg

This one's kind of a big mess of a few things I've done so far. The figure is definitly based off of a few of those Trigun pics. Anyway, I think the landscaping turned out alright but the hills could've been improved. The sky was pretty good also, and the transition from light to dark is pretty gradual. However, some of the brush strokes are too obvious in places... The figure lacks detail, and I should've put creases/folds in the coat. As is, he's kind of boring.

Vader- I played with adding windows and stuff to the buildings in my last picture, but no matter what I did I couldn't get it to look right. Maybe when I'm a bit better I can try again.

Tek- Although those are good ideas for something to draw, water is the tool of the devil as far as painting is concerned. And hands and limbs. And objects. Faces are annoying too. Vegitation is evil. And straight lines. Anything with straight lines. Well, from my point of view, anyways http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png Nevertheless, I'll give those pics a shot http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png

-Cril

I agree that the guy is the weakest. He has almost no form. He's more like a blob. I know it's hard, but we need to see his shape under the coat. Not just a ball of coat.

Painting is hard, dude, but you're doing pretty good. HANDS are the hardest thing ever. And women. Wait till you try to draw women.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, with the meet I totally forgot to reply to this http://www.fnfclan.com/uploads/uploads/emoticons/default_tongue.png

I know it's hard, but we need to see his shape under the coat. Not just a ball of coat.

Yeah, I couldn't have put it better... His coat just looks like a blob. I should've show the way the wind wraps it around the person... Something to keep in mind for next time.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/crilix/paintings/vashthestampede%20-%20august%2014%202004.jpg

This one took me three days, doing it off and on. I first did the coat, then the buttons and shadows, and today I did the rest (Basically the face and head). And, I have to admit, this is pretty much the first face I've done with all its features visible. It's not that great, but it's a step in the right direction.

His eyes look like crap. Before I put the glasses in, they definitly drew the attention, and not in a good way. The glasses managed to mask some of it, so the whole peice looks a bit more balanced.

Speaking of glasses, I feel like a cheater. Real painters would do this all on one layer, just a step at a time. I couldn't figure out how to make the glasses, so I drew them on a seperate layer and changed the opacity. I also used the oval tool to make the frames. It was the only way I could keep both parts the same and have a decent circle. Oh well.

His hair is alright... I had to add more on the top than my reference had, because my canvas was a bit taller, and my initial sketch was off. Now that I look at it, it needed more concentration on the left side.

Overall... I think it turned out okay for my first peice with a whole, somewhat detailed face. His coat definitly turned out right, and I think I managed to have the colours balance together. Not that bad, not that good...

-Cril