Friday Night Firefight Forums

Buying a comp, Help!

Mayhem

hey guys, this is what i'm thinking of buying, anyone heard any bad things about any of the pieces, i'm just not sure about the video card, the guy says that it will be fine for my needs since i only play older games, but i'm not convinced. opinions?

Processor- intel p4 630 3.00 GHz w/2MB cache EM64T

MB- Asus P5RD1-Vm w/Dual DDR400, Radeon X300, Audio, Lan, PCI-E x16

Mem- 2x kingston 512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM CAS 3

Case- Antec Sonata II w/ 450W Smartpower 2.0

Floppy/Card reader- Mitsumi 7-in-1 internal card reader+floppy drive

HD- Maxtor 200GB DiamondMax10 7200RPM Serial ATA w/ 8MB Cache

Video- Onboard ATI Radeon X300 Graphics

Sound- Onboard 6-Channel 5.1 Audio

OS- XP Home SP2 Velocity

this is gonna cost me $871 after GST, what do you think?

im not a fan of onboard video cards at all, but other than that the computer looks dope mayhem you have the minimum needs to have an ownage computer for almost any game. If you throw crilix's 9800pro in that machine nothing can stop you!!!

Are you choosing the mobo based on the onboard? i havent done any comparisons just yet but if you drop the mobo to a non-on-board-video type it may save you some cash... cash that you can spend on that 9800 pro!

Also any FNF may benefit from this but mayhem: if you want we can always look at buying it with my status card. I am not sure how much money I can save you but i can look into what it'd cost for me to get those parts here under status, then the cost of shipping it to you there. It could be enough saved that you can afford crilix's card or something else that catches your eye.

Yeah like i said all FNF can benefit from my status card. All you need do is ask. if it works out that it saves you a bundle well then im MORE than happy to do it. Ask Colin - Simon Templar. I built his pc years back for a couple a reasons 1) he didnt have anyone in nanaimo that could build it, he didnt want to get a costco/futureshop/staples special because he knows they are crap. and 2) I saved him a bunch of cashola and also had the enjoyment of assembling his mean machine.

LMK what ya think. Peace.

Yeah Dave, i think i'd have pretty much all the same things to say as marty and chris - Your setup looks pretty sweet. Im also a non-fan of the onboard video, but at least it will 'do it' for you, and you can allllways slap something in there eventually, so its not like you're humped for an 'upgrade path' as i like to call em.

I actually own that same card reader/floppy drive, and i can vouch for it's uselfullness. Mines the beige one, but identical to what you listed. The one downside to it is that it shows up as two or three seperate dives with my hardware combination, even when you dont have any media in the slots. Oh well, not a big deal..

My only personal biases in what you've chosen would be to pick Seagate drives over the maxtor. Yes yes, i know maxtor are great drives and are cheaper and everyone seems to have one, but Seagate is just synonymous with quality imo, and losing my HDD's is a nightmare i never want to live out. So a little extra is worth it to me there, but if you back up religiously, or dont care what you lose, you're laughing.

Anyways, yeah man. Rock on, you should be well taken care of with that setup : )